Karl Does History Homework

Summary:

The fifth years are assigned to create a history report worth five pages of parchment. Karl finds finds reading books over and over again boring, so he finds another way to get information to put in his homework.

Note: Please read end notes.

***

It was another Saturday morning in Hogwarts, and as usual owls were flying above the students as they ate breakfast. A Tawny owl flew through the opening of the hall, a package attached to it's talons. It dived towards the Gryffindor table, where a certain Hufflepuff was sticking out like a sore thumb.

"Oh, hello," Karl greeted as the owl dropped the package and a letter on the table beside his plate. The owl hooted at him before flying off. 

"Ohh, who's that from Karl?" Quackity asked, reaching over to grab the package.

"Hay!" Karl slapped Quackity's hand lightly, "At least let me see it first," he said.

"Alright, alright, geez," Quackity raised his hands before nudging Sapnap, who was raising his spoon filled with soup, with his elbow—"Aw, dude, my soup!"—spilling the contents of the spoon. "Someone's being moody," Quackity said.

Karl rolled his eyes, "I'm not moody," he said said as he opened the letter. "Oh hey, it's from Sean."

"A letter from Jimmy Jacobs?" Sapnap raised an eyebrow. "He's you're brother right? Goes to Ilvermorny?"

"Yeah, uhh," Karl did a quick read of the letter. "Says here he's at home at the moment, special permission and all that because apparently our grandparents managed to make another prototype of a time turner and he has to help with storing it in the family Gringott's vault because grandpa and grandma were too old to go themselves."

"Don't time turners already exist though?" Sapnap asked.

"Well, it says here that unlike the official time turners, the one that they made can go back like years and years," Karl explained.

"Okay, but what's in the package?" Quackity asked. 

"Hold on," Karl began opening the box. "What the—" he pulled out a necklace with a clock dangling at the end. 

"Did he just send you one of the time turners?" Sapnap asked.

"Cool! Can I have it?" Quackity asked, reaching over.

"Quackity, no," Karl laughed as he pulled his hand away, so that the time turner couldn't be reached. 

Quackity groaned, "You're no fun," he complained. "Are you at least gonna try it out?"

Karl shook his head, "I don't think so. I mean, it's a prototype." 

"If you two are done with all that time talk, can we go now?" Sapnap asked. "I want to go to the library before it gets full."

Quackity snickered, "I didn't know you were the studious type, Sapnap."

"'m not," Sapnap said as he stood up. "But my parents said that I won't be able to go anywhere during Christmas Break if I don't pull my grades for History of Magic."

"Oh yeah," Karl followed Sapnap's lead, "I almost forgot that we have an assignment due on Monday."

"If you two are done reminiscing, maybe we can get a move on?" Quackity asked the two who hadn't move a bit, but were standing up.

"Yeah, yeah, we're moving," Sapnap said.

***

Karl dropped his head on the table, making a small 'thud' sound. "I don't want to read a whole 500 page book," he complained. He glanced at the parchment he was writing on and the last thing he wrote was the year 'XXXY'