09 | Unplanned events

Chapter nine

Chapter nine

"I-I can't shift" Taehyung stuttered. Jungkook had never heard him at a loss like this before, choked up over what he was trying to say.

There was a short pause. The two alphas were staring at him in confusion while he kept his head low, purposely avoiding any sort of eye contact. Jungkook's thoughts and words came to a halt, his mouth falling open in a blank gape.

Never in his whole life had he heard of a wolf who couldn't shift. Yeah, little pups were the only exception because they were in the process of learning, but Taehyung was a grown omega. He must've shifted in his other form thousands of times by now.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Jimin's exasperated sigh bounced off the concentrate walls of the cabin, and the omega pinched his brows together, regarding the latter with a puzzled expression.

"Calm down." Jungkook tried to say, placing a hand on his friend's shoulder to stop him from standing up, but Jimin was already on his feet, walking in circles around the small room.

"Calm down?" He asked, looking at the other alpha with wide open eyes, as if his pupils were going to pop off. "Not only the fact he is an omega, but a crippled one at that!" he exclaimed loudly for everyone in the cabin to hear him.

Upon hearing these words, Taehyung lifted his head up and glared at the short boy, giving him the most dangerous look Jungkook had ever witnessed to see.

"What did you just call me?" he flared back, a low growl getting stuck in his throat.

Jimin raised an eyebrow at the aggressive growl, his own inner wolf accepting it as a challenge. It wasn't like he would get into an actual fight with the omega, but he really wanted to put him in his place and shut that pretty mouth of his.

Jungkook wrapped his slender fingers gently around Taehyung's thin wrist, catching his attention almost immediately. The alpha didn't give him the grudgeful look he expected to receive, but a soft, caring one.

"Is it true that you can't shift?" he asked in a quiet tone, running his thumb over Taehyung's palm in a soothing manner to show him that everything was alright.

The omega rolled his lips to wet them a bit, slowly pulling his hand away to place it back in his lap. He gave Jungkook a short nod of his head, eyes back down on his lap, as if he were ashamed of himself and his disability. Something that was particularly true.

"After Soojin passed away I lost connection with my wolf." The sound of Taehyung's voice rang in Jungkook's ears. He had sounded so quiet, his words coming out in a soft whisper, but it resonated like a siren in the alpha's head, everything Taehyung did affected him way more than it should.

It was Jungkook's first time hearing the alpha's name. It didn't sound familiar, not even the slightest bit of memory crossed his mind. Jimin hadn't heard it either, judging by the quizzical look he had written on his face. He didn't really respond; he didn't even know what to say.