41 | Our Feature : Epilogue

Chapter forty-one

Chapter forty-one

Taehyung walked out of the little cottage that stood alone in the middle of an open clearing. The puddles that his loafers smacked against raised to besom their kind stains on the inseam of his old and floor-length robes. It was the contrast of warm sunlight against his skin, and the harsh cold of newly grown blades of grass under his feet that made him sigh.

The fire ball above him was lazing like Titan's fiery wheel in the sky. It was a-dazzle with splendor, and it was a soul-swelling experience. Between gasps in the forest's canopy, lances of its molted-gold beams splashed onto the floor.

The new season was at its start. Spring was glee. It was a fizzy tonic, like a slowly overflowing bottle of bubbling joy. It tattooed its colors onto the land, banishing the clay-cloud claws of winter. The blessed dew was bespangled on the frosty ground, like wizard dust, it burnt the snow into oblivion. Buds blossomed, trees thawed, and grass grew.

In the distance, the world's greatest sound was coming out of hibernation. It was the mellifluous hum of a faraway lawnmower, signaling that the Earth was warm again. The air smelled like baked sugar cakes after the grass was shorn.

"Where are you...?" The omega muttered to himself, though it held no actual bite to it. He was more concerned about the disappearance of his mate, having in mind Jungkook often preferred to rise early in the day, a habit he never lost from his years as a pack warrior.

Right before he could walk any further into the woods, the faint sound of featherlike footsteps caught his attention, and it got him turning around to see who was coming. A small figure, a sprightly child that was clouded in the neutral scent of air before a storm. It was the soft aroma of innocence, playful but typical of a wolf unpresented and the very presence made Taehyung smile.

"Hey, pup," the omega greeted, kneeling down to get closer to the pup's height. "Why are you up so early?" He asked, and this simple question caused the cute bundle of sunshine to curl her chapped lips into a pout.

"I couldn't find you and daddy." She declared; her crescent shaped eyebrows inclined slightly as she sulked.

The adorable attitude just made Taehyung chuckle. "Did my little Byeol get worried?" he asked and reached out to run his slender fingers through the girl's coral-black hair that toppled over her small shoulders.

The gesture only seemed to intensify the child's frown. Her effervescent, champagne-brown eyes were hidden behind a pair of languid, velvet-black lashes. "I'm not little!" The girl argued, her dulcimer sweet voice rang in Taehyung's ears like a fine melody, overpowering the bird's merry song.

"No?" The omega raised a brow and gently wrapped his fingers around her small elbow to pull her closer, sniffling the air around them. "You don't have a scent yet, my flower." He teased, nuzzling along her round cheeks and neck, meanwhile biting back a snicker. "Still a pup, I'm afraid."