33 | One time for the present

Chapter thirty-three

It was getting colder and darker; leaves were falling from the trees. There was a chill in the air overnight, frost on the ground in the morning, mist, and fog in the air. Dry, dead leaves crunched beneath your feet and clouds appeared when you breathed out.

The autumn came as a gospel choir, harmonized in such a way that celebrated each hue and showed how they belonged together.

The fall had dressed herself for the coming season, donning her most vibrant hues. She had swept into the woodlands with a humble boldness that invited the eye to see more than they otherwise might. The new season took her pirouette, her sweet turn on the stage all around, and Earth was so blessed to be given such beauty.

Whereas people had to say goodbye to the fortunate summer and prepare for a colder weather, some of them braced the upcoming season as an old friend.

Taehyung's cheerful laugh rang in the chilly air as he sprinted through the forest, careful not to stumble on a branch or another muddy surface, his floor-length dark blue cloak swaying behind him. He looked over his shoulder occasionally to see if Jungkook was following him. The excited thrum of his fluttering heart made him feel like a child – careless and free.

When he ran out of breath, the omega decided to stop by an oak wooden tree and lean with his back against it, wiping off the droplets of sweat that had stitched to his forehead. His breath was coming out in short, evasive gasps, chest raising up and down with identical moves.

Taehyung peered over the tree to check on the alpha, lips tucked between his teeth as he nibbled on the plump flesh nervously. The anticipating silence caused the hair on his nape to straighten, this disconcerting feeling of preconception spiked up his jubilant excitement.

"Boo!" Someone whispered in his ear, making the omega jump like a startled cat and release a loud yelp of utter surprise.

He made one full turn; hand placed right on top of his chest as he tried to calm down the erratic beating of his overstressed heart. Taehyung stared at the same black-haired alpha who had been chasing him for over ten minutes now.

"A-asshole!" Embarrassed and frustrated, the omega shoved him in the shoulder, maintaining eye contact for a little bit longer before skidding his gaze across the path of golden autumn leaves.

The mischief glint in Jungkook's orbs disappeared and he stepped forward to coil an arm around Taehyung's waist, pulling him closer towards his body. The omega continued to glance away, stubbornly denying meeting the alpha's gaze.

"Pup." Jungkook tried once, attempting to grab Taehyung by the chin and made him look up, only for the blonde boy to shake off his hand.

"Don't even try using pet names." The omega seethed with resentment, fighting back the urge to purr at the cute nickname. Of course, Jungkook knew all the ways of melting his heart and washing off his annoyance, but Taehyung didn't want to do him the courtesy of forgiving his mistake so easily.