16 | Let me scent you

Chapter sixteen

Chapter sixteen

Over an hour and lots of jostling about later, Taehyung was standing awkwardly in the middle of an open field, surrounded by large groups of alphas and betas. The orange sky was streaked with blinding white around the sun by the time they got to reach the specified place for the meeting.

They were in a huge expanse of gentle hills and fields, the sun shining intensely overhead. The destination wasn't too far away from the pack house and they could easily walk through the forest and back into the small town in the matter of fifteen to thirty minutes.

To Taehyung's right, a camp was set up, numerous piles of what looked like tent materials spaced out around an already standing, large tent. It was made of thick white canvas and had to be twice as tall as the omega, wide and several meters long. One flap at the front was tied back, but Taehyung couldn't get a glimpse of what was inside from his distance and angle.

There was a clearing full of people, the space suddenly alive with sounds and sights to see. Half of the wolves were dressed up in a basic armor, dark gray metal guarding most of their bodies, with just a few boasting bold red cloaks over their shoulders, like the one Jungkook wore.

Taehyung held a hand to his breast, trying to slower the erratic beating of his heart.

"Jungkook, I'm afraid," he whispered, almost too soft to be heard. The omega gave himself a pep talk, promised himself to be calm, not let anything visibly scare him away, but it had been less than an hour and his stomach was already making drastic swifts and turns.

The alpha just glanced in his direction and nodded understandingly, placing a warm hand on Taehyung's lower back.

"Fear is normal for any person, Taehyung, and I wouldn't consider your situation a normal one. You're very brave for having the courage to do this." For the first time since this morning, Jungkook sounded genuine, and his voice was much softer than usual. The omega appreciated how the heat of his hand burning through his tunic somehow made him feel a bit calmer. He set his jaw and took a deep breath before facing the impatient crowd.

Somewhere in the back of his head, he remembered how this specific person had told him those same words long ago. Taehyung had a similar once-over, suddenly becoming very aware of the datum how much Jungkook's words and actions affected him in more than one way.

"Ready?" the alpha quirked up an eyebrow, sparing Taehyung a brief glance.

He nodded timidly his head, blonde hair skimming just below the eyebrows, making him look absolutely adorable.

The young alpha hummed in a silent response, stepping forward and puffing out his chest to acquire a more authoritative stance.

"Listen up!" Jungkook yelled loudly so everyone could hear him. Surprisingly, the wolves all around him listened, the roar of overlapping voices quickly simmering down to a barely audible murmur.