37 | Take The Pain Away

Chapter thirty-seven

"Come on, Tae," the plea in Jungkook's tone was more than noticeable. He was sitting on the edge of the bed, literally begging the omega to eat something, anything! "You can't keep going like this."

Taehyung gave a noncommittal shrug, eyes haunted and distant and all Jungkook wanted was to make this look fade off his face. It was unnerving, seeing the omega's expression so dull. He wondered what could have brought Taehyung's bright-eyed, inquisitive, babbling personality to this shell version of himself.

It had been two weeks since the attack of the Blood Stream pack. Two of the most grueling weeks in Jungkook's entire life. Ever since Taehyung woke up, he refused to eat or speak. The only person he was willing to allow in his vicinity was Jungkook.

The healers of their pack explained that the reason behind this was due to all the shock his inner wolf had to go through after being forcefully marked. The first time Taehyung's consciousness came back, he was disoriented and scared, squinting away as far as possible from everyone who dared to near him, would it be a friend or healer.

Thankfully, the case wasn't the same for Jungkook. In fact, the alpha seemed to be the only exception in the universe. During the nights where Taehyung would wake up screaming and crying after another terrifying nightmare, Jungkook would be the person capable of calming him down and soothing his cries.

And even though it had been two weeks, they hadn't made any progress so far.

Taehyung was slouched against one of the pillows, staring dully at the breakfast tray. His eyes still looked worryingly blank, and he made no move to take any of the food.

Jungkook ignored the little stab in his chest. "You need to eat, pup." He said, injecting a note of gentle warning in his voice as he held a biscuit right up to Taehyung's lips.

The omega stared uncomprehendingly at the biscuit for a few seconds and then, to Jungkook's relief, opened his mouth. He carefully fed Taehyung the cracker and the omega chewed mechanically, glowering down at the plate. The alpha was just about to grab another one when he heard Taehyung say something, his voice muffled by the food still in his mouth.

"Hmm?" Jungkook glanced up, his eyes fixed on Taehyung. "What did you say, pup?"

The omega munched on thoroughly his mouthful of food and tried again. "I feel like I have cheated on you," he confessed, struggling to swallow down a still-beating heart.

Jungkook started to feel that tightness in his chest again and he put the plate back on the tray, taking Taehyung's hands in his. "What do you mean?"

"I gave this–"The omega's breath got stuck in his throat, mind racing up with panic as he reminisced the sight of Chinhae's twisted grin and burgundy color of his eyes. "I let this bastard mark me..." A sob ripped off his mouth, eyes beginning to brim with unshed, bright tears. He pulled his hands away from Jungkook's, as if his touch burned the skin there, and brought them up to cup the healing mate mark on his neck. "When it should have been you," Taehyung gasped out, an eternal state of drowsiness overtook him, and he wondered if he should just close his eyes and never wake up again.