27 | Pride and Grief

Chapter twenty-seven

The dull lack of any vibrations in the air that had the ability to either suffocate or free one from their worst hardship was all over the place. The same heavy, brooding silence descended on them.

"So, it's not a myth that a true blood can be killed only by another true blood." Jungsunk said with spite in his voice, a loud clamor echoing around the otherwise silent hall as he leaned forward in his chair, vigor coursing through him.

Taehyung shook his head, fists unclenching by his sides as his lids softly fluttered open. His eyes were beautiful, holding the burning flames of the hot sun in them. He wondered how many times he had to repeat one thing before it got stuck permanently in someone's mind. There was no living creature in this world that was truly the most powerful. Everyone was weak in the face of death and no soul could stay locked in their temple forever. The rank of a wolf didn't make them invincible; it just gave them more power than they should have and if it was used with bad intentions, things could go wrong.

Taehyung's mate wanted to do exactly this – hide away from the greedy thieves who desired to rule over the world. He had never wished for power, nor his pride blurred his subconscious mind with twisted thoughts. Perhaps that was why he saw a potential in any wolf despite their rank and position in society. Call him weak but for Taehyung he was the strongest alpha of all times. Just because your rank was high didn't mean everyone had to kneel before you. The power that was given to them should be used wisely, precisely, without letting the selfish ideas control you.

"No, he was a simple alpha before he killed my mate." The omega answered, remarkably calm and composed, covering up the outlashing rage with ease.

Jungsunk's expression contorted, his fruitless efforts of hiding his bewilderment betrayed him.

"That doesn't make any sense..." The head alpha mumbled under his nose, his voice was hushed and the only thing stopping the words from being overheard was the obnoxious murmurs of the audience.

Taehyung wanted to laugh at his lack of knowledge on this matter. The whole ordeal sounded so hard for understanding. True bloods were as rare as enormous and brilliantly sparkling diamonds, and it was completely normal for them to be ignorant of their nature.

"Oh, it does make sense, alpha." The omega said with so much casualness in his tone that it left the spectators speechless. The confident way in which he spoke was for instance, considering the fact he was nothing more but an omega that was currently standing in the center of the Great Hall with so many people to watch and listen. "The person who succeeds to kill a true blood inherits their power." He said and Jungsunk's jaw dropped to the ground.

Even Jungkook, who stood few steps ahead of Taehyung, looked over his shoulder to glace at him. The omega knew all this time that if he killed the true blood, Jungkook would be the one to receive his powers and be proclaimed as the next true blood alpha. He had an overwhelming urge to know, to understand. And yet it seemed the more he did know, the more tantalizing nuggets of information were drip-fed into his life, the more maddened with uncertainty and curiosity he became.