38 | Winter is Here

Chapter thirty-eight

"I hope this will finally shut your mouth up."

Taehyung was shaking violently, his loud screams echoing throughout the peaceful night, the image of Chinhae's scarred face imprinted in the back of his mind.

The door of his bedroom flew open and Jungkook immediately stomped inside, stilling at the sight of the omega writhing around in obvious distress. He was on his bed, the sheets twisted around his ankles, small whimpers escaping him as whatever hellish scene played through his unconscious mind. Instinct created an urge in the alpha to shake Taehyung awake, but upon second assessment, he decided not to do that.

He had no idea how the omega would react to being touched in this state and he didn't want Taehyung to accidentally hurt himself. After a quick debate, Jungkook went with repeating the omega's name at different volume levels, though none of them were quite yelling, until Taehyung jerked awake, panting.

"Shh, Taehyung, you're okay. You're safe. We're in the pack house. Jimin is asleep right down the hall, and I'm right here, and so are you. Nothing bad is happening." Jungkook didn't even know what he was saying, only knew that he needed to calm Taehyung down. The wild look in the omega's azure eyes, the fear, the tension in his body, it all needed to be soothed away.

Taehyung's body was already quivering even before he woke up to Jungkook's voice, a grumble leaving his lips as he struggled to breathe. It took a long second to blink away the fires that still burnt in his vision, still melted away at his skin, but soon enough he could see the alpha's face looking down at him in the darkness.

He blinked his eyes open, groggy as the world around him shifted about, and doubled over, nothing exactly clear but the muddled colors. He felt nauseous and heavy, his stomach weighing him down along with the thick blankets covering his body. Everything felt warm, the bed seeming to trap him in, arms so comforting around him that his body fought to stay put.

A sob left Taehyung's chest before he could stop it, followed by another and another until he collapsed in on himself, the force of his cries shaking his entire frame, shaking the bed.

And though the angle was odd, Jungkook draped himself over Taehyung, snaking his arms under and around the omega's posture to hold him. Taehyung fell into the embrace gratefully, tears soaking his shoulder without care as the alpha's body emitted a solid warmth, he felt he so desperately needed. Despite the thick layer of blankets, Taehyung's skin was incredibly cold, adding to the ache in his bones and the trembles.

Jungkook shushed him gently, rolling them onto their sides so they were more comfortable. Taehyung held onto him with all he had, fingers gripping onto the warm dips of his shoulder blades through his shirt.

The alpha's hands skimmed over Taehyung's back, the proximity of them stealing away the cold that the omega wished to wrap himself in. "It's okay," Jungkook murmured against his furrow of ash-blonde hair, "you're safe."