Chapter 31: Perspective

*WARNING*: Mentions of abuse, mental trauma, torture, and blood. Viewer discretion is advised please!

Heels clacked quickly against the floor as her footsteps echoed down the sterile smelling hallway. 

She honestly hated the smell of bleach and cleaner that seemed to follow her from the lab, to the grey and dreary hallways, to even outside in her car.

This place was lifeless and lacked anything that made it worthwhile.

How ironic...

The only things that would cut between bleach and grey was the potent smell of copper and the occasional crimson littering the floor.

But she didn't have time to focus on that right now. 

Leilah was running behind as she raced down the hallway, trying to make up for her lapse in timing over her afternoon work.

She so desperately wanted to use her abilities to get there quickly, but if she did...

Well, she'd rather not think about the consequences.

Since their meeting in the office that day, Leilah had been trying to visit the ravenette after her work hours, the teen still weary of her.

She had only spoken with him twice since then, but John seemed to not mind. Truth be told, Leilah might have guessed he was actually thankful to have peaceful company

Leilah had had been using Keon's orders against him in a strange way.

The cop had wanted her to tear the teen down more. 

He knew Leilah could have the ability to do so as she bore a striking resemblance to a certain magenta haired girl, not to mention she could break his spirit even more by using cruel tactics of manipulation, by guilt tripping the teen into believing he was the cause for her sisters suffering.

Although to an extent, he already did believe that.

But Leilah would absolutely never guilt trip him to those extremes though.

For one thing, she didn't have the heart to do such a cruel act. She may have been a high tier, but even she has suffered at the hands of mental and psychological abuse.

Gaslighting, manipulation, guilt tripping, threatening.

You name it and she's dealt with it at some point in her life.

But for another thing, John didn't deserve that. He didn't deserve to hate himself more than he already did.

Has he done awful things before? Yes.

Has he made mistakes that he should apologize for? Absolutely.

But John was still just a kid. 

He made mistakes and instead of people around him trying to teach and lead him in a better direction, they damned him to the furthest extent and left him even more broken than before.

It doesn't help that he grew up in a society that condemned the lack of abilities and had branded him as something less than a human. 

While what he did in response was cruel and wrong, that didn't mean he deserved this kind of punishment.

Leilah had seen his files that Keon had oh-so-graciously gifted to her to look over.

And honestly? She was appalled about how easily the man could walk around, almost bragging about how he managed to use John's deepest, most darkest insecurities against him to break the teen into becoming a soulless, obedient husk.