Chapter 20: Goodbyes

Everyone sat in desks around the pristine room. No one spoke, no one moved. All the students in attendance only stared on with hurt in their eyes.

They all felt betrayed. They all felt swindled.

They had been robbed of something that had meant the world to each and every one of them and they couldn't even fight for it.

All the students could do was watch as Cecile got up, the cyanette circling around the desk and coming to sit on its edge to address the room. She wasn't going to stand tall in front of them, telling them that everything would be ok or that they would just have to suck it up and move on. Right now, she wasn't their press leader or another high ranker to tower over them.

Right now, she was their equal.

She was just another student who was being stripped of not only her club but her passion; her job.

The girl stared out at the solemn crowd, her violet eyes filled with hurt. Her heart ached for these people, for these kids who were just as passionate as she was, who had been by her side since day one in some cases.

It would hurt to say goodbye to them all.

Cecile sighed before clearing her throat. "...I'm sure you've all at least heard of or have seen the flyers going around school?" Everyone nodded. Cecile turned her head as a student, Juni to be exact, put up her hand. "Cecile...? Are the rumors true? Are we really closing?" Cecile looked down. "Well, to put out any rumors, yes...they are true. The school press is being shut down."

Students in the room whispered slightly, some giving shouts of confusion, others absolutely silent with heartbreak. A first year girl in the back broke down into tears, this club being her only escape in her life. These people were her friends despite her being a low tier and now they were being torn away from her.

A fourth year with lavender hair went over and hugged her, his own copper eyes filled with anger and sorrow. He didn't care how different all of them were, whether they were low tiers, mid tiers, elites; these people were his family.

Cecile nodded. "I know...I felt the same way when I found out too..." Terrance raised his hand. "Did you talk with Keene about this?"

A boy with sky blue hair was the one to answer the question. "Of course she did! But he said the same thing to her that he's been saying to everyone else: it's all because of the damn school budget! But even if that was the case, why are WE still being shut down when other clubs like the graduating class counsel and class representatives are still open when they take up more time and resources than we do?! Why are we-?!"

Isen placed a hand on the teens shoulder. The kid started shaking, angry with everything that was happening but at the same time, sad. Isen rubbed his back in an attempt to comfort him. "I know Otis...we all agree with you. But there's nothing we can do..."

Isen looked to the cyanette who nodded slightly. "I'm sorry guys...I'm so...so sorry. I wish there was something I could do to fix this. But I can't. All I can do for you guys right now is give you today to gather your projects and say goodbye. Grab each other's numbers if you'd like. But this is all I can do..."

The students looked at one another and for the rest of the meeting, they sat together, huddled in groups as they went over their articles and other random ideas and stories.

Some laughed, others cried. But overall, they made every minute left in the club count.

Unfortunately, it was eventually time to leave.

Students hugged each other for the last time, tears in their eyes as they exchanged numbers, some begging each other to meet up after school or to look for another club together.