Chapter 2: Daybreak

Wellston Private High school was bathed in a golden light as the early morning began. The earth had started to warm and the dew began to thaw as the sun pulled itself up into the sky.

Despite the change in weather, students still stumbled their way down the sidewalks and onto school grounds, their obligations to classes outweighing their need for sleep.

Watching this scene from the roof, Arlo couldn't help but wonder why he was up there at such an early hour. The blonde didn't have any reason or right to call the roof his own. He no longer had the right to loom over everyone that began walking in the gates or to watch the sky change colors. 

Now that he was no longer a royal, he wouldn't be allowed up here anymore.

A part of him was going to miss this. Spending early mornings sipping his coffee while watching the sunrise. He could normally do whatever he wanted in the mornings. Now though, he had no place up in the clouds, not with his title in the hands of another.

John was officially king now, rank one. He had the school clutched in his fingertips and with it, the royals. But who was going to listen to him? He may be at the top, but to Arlo, he still only had as much use as a cripple and was only as useful as his mouth. The ravenette couldn't get a single thing done on his own and had little to no reasoning for how he went about things.

None of the royals or high tiers wanted to listen to such an aggressive and loud-mouthed idiot and the other tiers didn't want a maniac sitting on the throne.

But it was too late. Rules were rules and even Arlo had to follow them.

There was a part of him that was actually relieved to have the burden of being king off his shoulders. 

It was empowering being at the top, but when you're king, you have to do so much to keep everyone in line. You have to sacrifice your time, your energy and even a bit of sanity to get anything done.

Being king for almost three years was nothing short of a miracle. Arlo had relished in being able to keep most of the school under lock and key.

Now, he strangely felt free somehow; maybe even a bit relived. He had nothing holding him back anymore, nothing tying him to the hierarchy. 

Arlo sighed as he took a sip of his coffee, to which he almost choked on when he heard the door to the roof open. 

The blonde was half expecting a certain ravenette to come walking through the door, ready to toss him off. However, his mild shock turned into relief when he saw that it was just Isen. The orange haired male looked up, slightly surprised at the blonde being on the roof at this hour. "Arlo? Uh...sorry, didn't expect to see you here."

Arlo sighed. "What are you doing here Isen?"

Isen rubbed his neck. "Oh, I was looking for someone else."

Arlo nodded slightly. "Remi I take it?" The other teen nodded. "Yeah...I tried calling her but she wasn't picking up. Anyways, I'll just leave..."

The teen was prepared to walk straight back out the door when the blonde stopped him. "Isen, stay. Who knows when you're ever going to get the chance to come back up here." 

He looked at the former king, still uncertain. "You sure? If you want some time alone, I can just come back lat-" "Isen." The orange haired male took that as his que to shut up, eventually joining Arlo as they watched the sky through the fenced wall.

Isen peered down below them. "Didn't think you would be up here after everything..."

Arlo shrugged and took a sip of his coffee. "After today, I won't be. I just wanted to enjoy this one last time." Isen only nodded, keeping his questions to himself.