Chapter 50: Escapades

Wellston Private high school had seen many changes throughout it's lifetime. But through those years, students always had the freedom to do as they wished so long as no one ended up in the hospital or reduced the building to smithereens.

But for the first time in it's history, that freedom had been usurped; replaced by order to the nth degree.

There was minimal chatter as students walked through the halls now, heads down and keeping their glances brief.

Leeway was a rare thing nowadays and the last thing any student wanted was to be caught by an officer while breaking the rules they now enforced.

With such constricting regulations in place, there was nothing one could do to stem the flow of harassment that had since arisen from the lack of communication.

Just like when Rei had left the school, every ounce of goodwill anyone seemed to possess had been bluntly beaten away. Fights now broke out daily between students. Those terrified of mid tiers and elites were constantly in hiding and were seen sprinting across campus just to avoid being the target of another attack.

It was pure chaos and even Arlo was overwhelmed in trying to stop it all.

He was able to break up fights where he saw them but he had little power to control the damage being done. The hierarchy had been morphed into a dictatorship of which, he was as helpless as the rest in this regime. Arlo was practically missing entire days of classes trying to handle and limit the violence taking place.

But even with Remi and Blyke's help, he was at his limit. Isen was also pitching in where he could while trying to handle Cecile and the shadow press. The cyanette herself had tried lending a hand yet despite everyone's best efforts, it just wasn't enough.

While the authorities prevented fights between elites and high tiers, anyone below them was fair game in their eyes as, according to them, 'it was how the real world functioned.'

Remi hated that phrase but had the good will not to slap the officer who spoke it to her.

That didn't stop the anger seeping into her features when she saw Evie limping down the hallway towards the nurses office all alone. The small girl had barely spared the pinkette a glance before looking away, terrified. Remi made an attempt to help her but was stopped by an officer, saying he would take her there himself.

But even he looked absolutely fed up with all of this, briefly apologizing for preventing her from helping. They both knew he had to uphold his code less either of them be reprimanded for it.

Although her view towards the authorities was poor, the pinkette was glad to see that even in their ranks, there were people who did not agree with their ways.

.

.

.

The worst of it came when Seraphina ended up in the infirmary, Zeke having decided to go a round at her.

Remi had been the first one to arrive and check up on her, apologizing for almost knocking a kid out with the door.

Before her, there had to have been at least a dozen or so students, every seat that was available taken up and some even having to sit on the floor while they waited to be healed.

Some had broken bones, others holding bloody noses.

There was even a kid unconscious, being held up by his friend as they waited their turn to be treated.

While the sight hurt to bare, she rushed over to the bed at the far end where Sera rested, her leg in a cast and her arm cradled in a sling. Bandages were wrapped around her head and a nasal strip was adhered across the bridge of her bruised nose.