Chapter 24: Morals

...................................

Walking down the sidewalk, the ravenette looked over at his friend who was currently enjoying her drink.

She sighed. "Feels like we haven't hung out in forever. I can't ever seem to find you anymore."

He gave a nervous chuckle. "Oh, heh...I've been skipping class a bit more than I probably should and uh...my grades have taken a dive because of it." He scratched the back of his neck. "So the teachers have been making me do extra work during my free time to get them back up."

The girl sighed as she shook her head, her magenta extensions falling behind her back. "You know if you need help with school work, you can always ask me, right?"

John gave her a weary and baffled look. "Buuut you always give me sh*t for being to slow..."

Seraphina raised an eyebrow. "Really? Hm, I don't remember."

John sighed. "Besides, I'd rather just spend some time like this away from it all."

He looked up at the sky, a soft smile adorning his face.

"Away from the other students and all the schools nonsense. It's relaxing and I don't have to worry about a thing."

Seraphina thought for a second. "Hmm, can't argue with that one."

John looked back over, a question on his mind as he pointed to her face slightly. "By the way, what happened to your face?"

She gently brushed a hand against her cheek. "Oh this? I schooled a mid tier today."

The ravenette's eyes went a little wide with concern. "What? Another fight? Sera, shouldn't you be more careful after what happened? What if-?"

"'I don't care.' That's what you say all the time, right?" The magenta haired girl walked forward slightly as John remained silent, processing her words.

She sighed. "So you can get into whatever trouble you want, but I can't? Why should it be any different for me?"

John watched her walk slightly, biting his lip slightly before letting the words spring out of his mouth.

"Because I don't want to see you hurt again!"

Seraphina turned around, her expression filled with shock.

John went on, running a hand through his hair. "I know I've done a ton of dumb sh*t in the past, but it's different now because it's happening to you too!"

Seraphina remained silent as he looked at the ground. "When I saw you in the infirmary that day, I didn't know how to react!"

He shut his eyes before looking down at his hand. "All I could think about was how weak I am... How could I be so worthless...? How could I let something like that happen to you...?"

Seraphina let his name run through her lips as she watched him.

John turned his head away, clenching his hand at his side. "If only this stupid hierarchy didn't exist...if only we didn't have to worry about being defined by our abilities...then neither of us would have to deal with all this bullsh*t!"

Seraphina rushed forward, gently grabbing John's arm. His eyes went wide as they stared at each other with vulnerable expressions.

Seraphina was the first to speak. "John, please don't think that way! None of this is your fault...this is just how things are. We can't control everything."