Chapter 45 (Pt. 2): Veracity

A/N: Happy early Halloween everyone! Hope you all enjoy if you celebrate and stay safe if you're going out! I hope your bounty of candy is plentiful. :3

Hope you all enjoy today's chapter!

Love ya guys! ^-^

-KittCat

*Warning*: This chapter contains violence, torture, manipulation, and mentions of trauma. Viewer discretion is advised please! 

John stared at Valerie, lost for words.

No...he refused to believe that Leilah, the only person here to show any form of kindness, had created the drug that could render anyone a cripple.

Leilah would never allow that to happen to Seraphina, to her own sister.

Would she...?

The teen quickly shook the thoughts away. He may have been unsure of Leilah, but he knew Valerie loved to lie.

"Shut up...! Why should I trust anything you say?! Unlike you, at least Leilah has been honest with me!"

Standing back up, she shifted her weight to one foot. "Honest? Well, maybe. But you can be honest while avoiding the truth. Tell me John, how many people have told you the truth while also hiding ulterior motives?"

At this, John had no answer. He knew all too well how true that statement was.

Valerie nodded, seeming satisfied with his silence. "See? That's what I thought."

He grit his teeth, still trying to deny the rogue thoughts. "Just-shut up...!"

The woman shrugged. "If you say so. But I'm afraid we still have more urgent matters to take care of."

John lifted his gaze as she knelt down beside him, her eyes flickering to life.

John struggled in his bindings. He tried to pull away from her but his legs were tied to the chair he sat on and obviously he had no help from his arms.

There was a part of him that wanted to latch onto the active ability as nerves began to crawl up his spine. However, he didn't want to test what these cuffs could actually do, lest they leave any lingering side effects.

He felt rather than saw the fire ignite on her fingertips as she held her hand near his arm. The flames hovered near his elbow and the heat started to fan against his skin.

His gaze quickly darted from between Valerie's hand and her face as he sucked in a breath, already feeling sweat lining his brow. "Now John, I'm only going to explain this to you once. If I ask you a question, I expect you to answer. If you don't, we all know how this is going to go."