Chapter 0: Prologue

The view overlooking the city of Wellston only highlighted its charm and appeal. It was calm, serene. Especially now with the change of seasons.

The trees were already beginning to shift, turning multiple shades of red, orange, yellow and brown. Leaves began falling off their respective branches, signaling that summer was at its end. The air was already getting cold as the days had begun to shorten, however, this didn't stop everyone from mingling and walking about.

Children with scarves and coats wrapped around their energetic bodies, jumped and played in the leaves collecting on the ground. The satisfying crunch the decaying plant life made only furthered their excitement for the season. Their parents watched on and chatted on park benches as they sipped their steaming beverages, finding relief in the warmth they provided.

People left their places of employment as the late afternoon signaled the end of their shifts. They wrapped themselves up in jackets and left for the evening as the weekend welcomed them with open arms.

Friday afternoons had become the peak of human evolution. No school, no work, and nothing to worry about until Sunday night rolled around. You could do anything you wanted on a Friday night and no teacher, coworker or manager could tell you otherwise.

The thriving area bustled with people who drove in their vehicles down the road and walked in large herds along the sidewalks. Some even stopped inside shops and stores, enticed by what they had to offer.

A lone teen walked into Wobba Bobba to get his favorite drink, not caring about the cold.

A small group of adults stopped by a restaurant for some much needed alcohol and a quick bite to eat.

A set of school kids walked into Kovoro mall to buy new clothes, their older ones not warm enough for the changing weather.

A girl sat and waited at the bus stop, her towering, disinterested friend sitting next to her as they shivered. Neither liked the cold and both wanted to get back to their dorms and escape the chilly weather.

It was just another day in a small, but lively town. People were still doing their own thing and living their lives.

It could have been snowing for all they cared and life would still continue on like normal.

But for some, things were about to be anything but normal.

.

.

.

A woman stared at the sinking ball of fire that painted the sky in a torrent of blazing hues. The already picturesque scene had become engulfed in flames, making the view a sight to behold. 

Sunsets were always unique as no two were ever alike. Those in the fall were even more special as it was a dwindling reminder that scenes like these would become harder to view, that the sun's warmth would disappear for longer amounts of time. It was a reminder to enjoy what you have while you still can.

Normally, the woman would find warmth in watching such a scene. She loved to watch sunsets and would do whatever she could to have a few minutes to herself to watch them. But today, instead of the sun's warmth cascading down on her, all she could feel was the decaying breeze nipping at the back of her neck through the open window.