Chapter 39: Of Fiction and Reality

A/N: AHHHHHFBIWCM 

WE DID IT! WE REACHED 20K!

All of you, thank you so so much for your support for this book! I know I say it a lot but I really am thankful that you all are enjoying the book and are leaving comments and voting. I know for a lot of authors out there, it means the world to hear feedback and to connect with our readers, especially over something we all enjoy.

This is a huge milestone for me and getting here has been one hell of a journey but it's one I've enjoyed every step of the way!

So again, thank you guys! <3

Today's chapter is going to be a bit different, but I promise, we'll pick back up where we left off with Remi and the others soon.

For now though, let's catch up with a character we haven't seen in awhile. :3

As usual, I hope you guys enjoy the chapter!

Love ya guys! ^-^

-KittCat

*Warning*: This chapter contains mentions of violence/mentions of trauma. Also, bring some tissues in case you may ugly cry. Viewer discretion is advised please!

Rain and hail tumbled down in waves against the faulted pavement, thunder pulsing in quiet drum rolls overhead.

The street lamps flickered and buzzed with stress, barely fulfilling their job of lighting up the darkened sidewalks.

However their gleam went unappreciated, for there was almost no one who would be caught outside in such dreary weather and risk their health.

An arc of lighting sailed nearby, briefly painting the thick and heavy clouds a stark grey before thunder crashed down in a deafening boom.

For one individual though, he couldn't even hear the downpour around him or the next clap of thunder that rattled the windows as he got out of his car. His hood was pulled up to his brow as he ducked into the storm, fishing his keys out of his pocket as he retrieved his bags and locked up the car.

He couldn't see the pavement under his feet, he couldn't feel the hail nipping at his cheeks through the edge of his rain parka.

The only thing he was aware of was where he was walking to.

His suitcase dragged clumsily behind him as it caught against the cracks in the parking lot, hitching up when it rolled onto the sidewalk.

The man wandered like a lost soul, yearning for answers and aching for relief from the ghosts that seemed to haunt him.

Even right now, he felt more like a specter than a human.

He felt invisible to the world, his presence heavy but somehow feeling like he was floating just outside of himself. The man felt disconnected yet trapped, lost despite knowing where to go.

He was a million things. And yet, he was nothing at all as he drifted through the rain, the streetlights briefly basking him in tainted light before silhouetting him in shadows once more.

He felt like a part of him had been ripped away, torn to shreds and lost to the screaming wind where he'd never be able to chase it down.

But despite himself, he kept pushing forward towards the one place he could call home.

Or rather...that he had called home.

The apartment building stood tall against the downpour, the white lined roof of the brick building creating a break in the never ending wall of rain water.