Chapter 38 (pt 2): Clarity

A/N: The angst hits hard this chapter. ;-; I know a lot of people wanted to see some Remi angst and some more exploration with her character, and now seemed like a great time to do it.

As usual, I hope you all enjoy!

Love ya guys! ^-^

-KittCat

*WARNING*: This chapter contains mentions of trauma, violence, descriptions of death and a dead body, and injuries. Viewer discretion is advised please.

The man looked ahead, his voice going soft as he watched the waves softly rinse over the shore.

The moon had vanished, leaving them shrouded underneath a blank and misty sky.

Kuyo's legs had lost any feeling from the cold winter tides, the frigged temperatures having done wonders to numb his wound.

But unfortunately, it did little to numb the pain deep in his chest.

Remi was right; he had no say in what she did regarding Rei...but he also knew that Rei would never forgive him, even in death, if he let anything happen to the greenette's beloved sister.

It hurt him to say this to her. But if he didn't tell her this, who will?

Her friends had already tried, the school didn't care at all right about now, and Kuyo could only imagine that her parents would've done this already if they had found out.

It was a hard truth to swallow. 

Reality was a forgotten dose; prescribed yet almost no one took it.

But why should they when this was the bleak slate before them? When reality was nothing but backstreet horrors and bloody flesh doused in flames?

At first, he didn't want to believe in the words either...

When he first found out about Rei's death, he had stormed out of the house that same night, dawning his getup and securing his mask to his head before charging out there like a bat fresh out of hell. 

He had been so willing, so tempted to go out and do what Remi was doing. He wanted to find the maniac that killed Rei and make them suffer a thousand times over.

But before he could, Kassandra had stopped him. 

She had run into him in Lovun, out on one of her rare visits.

She stopped him on the roof of a bakery, the fresh scent of bread drifting through the late summer air.

Her curled, rosy locks were pulled neatly into a high ponytail with a half-mask covering her mouth and nose.

The woman, with all of the knowledge she had endowed over the years, had been the first one to utter those words to him, to tell him the truth he couldn't bare to hear.

They enraged him at first and he wanted to fight against her, to tell her that he didn't care if he was wasting his breath.

He didn't really care about anything in that moment. All he saw was the image of Rei's mutilated body plastered on the 5 o-clock news and he went on auto pilot.

But, despite the unsavory words he threw at her and his attempts to escape off into the night, she sat him down on the edge of the roof, masks discarded as she held him in place like an elder sibling would latch onto a scolded younger.