epilogue

TW: mentions of child abuse

p.s. not edited at ALL

***

Natalia's POV:

"Nick! Hurry up or we're gonna be late to meet Alexys! If we're late, I owe 50 galleons to Uncle George and Lee!" I yelled before tripping over a stuffed animal on the floor. George and Lee had made a bet that if we were late, which happened often, Fred and I owed them 50 galleons but if we were early or on time, they owed us money. "Fuck, Maia how many time have I told you to pick up your toys?!"

"Sorry mum," Maia said with an adorable pout on her face. Fuck I could never be mad at her when she made such a cute expression. I remember when she was a little baby, only a few months old, and as soon as I saw her, I fell in love. She was only 4 months old when Fred and I decided to adopt her. Maia's birth mom had passed away when she gave birth and her father wasn't in the picture, leaving her all alone.

It hurt not being able to have my own kids but there were so many kids without homes that it was okay. As long as I had children, it didn't matter if they were biological or not, I loved them the exact same.

"It's ok sweetheart just remember for next time," I said with a smile on my face before looking for my husband.

"Mum is this fine?" I heard my son ask. I turned around and saw him wearing jeans and one of the Weasley's Wizard Wheezes t-shirt.

"Yeah that's fine Nick. Do you know where your dad is? I can't find him anywhere?" I asked.

"Umm I think he's in your room," Nick said before running away from me. He smelled so familiar, almost like-

"Nick," I said calmly. "Why do you smell like gunpowder?"

"What are you talking about mum? I don't smell anything?" Nick said, trying to trick me.

"I'm not stupid, I've been with Fred for over 7 years, I think I know exactly how gunpowder smells Nick," I said with an annoyed expression on my face. "Is your dad hiding from me?"

"Umm-"

"If you tell me I won't punish you," I said, knowing Nick would easily take the easy way out. My little trouble-maker. Nick went through a lot. He was around 9 years old when we first met him 4 years ago. I remember seeing the bruises on his cheek when he came into the store, wondering what had happened.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked, wanting to make sure this little boy was safe.

"Hmm yeah I'm fine. Why?"

"Oh no I just saw a bruise on your cheek and I wanted to make sure you were okay," I said with a sad smile on my face.

"Oh I just got into a fight I'm okay."

"You look too young to be here alone. Where are your parents?"

"They're waiting outside, they don't like shops like these but I really wanted to come here. I love pulling pranks," he said.

"Okay," I said hesitantly. "If you need anything I'll be right over there," I said pointing to the counter.

"Thank you..."

"Natalia."

"Thank you Natalia."

"You're welcome sweetheart," I replied before walking back to the counter, making sure to keep an eye on him.

Nick kept coming almost every single day, sometimes helping out at the store. I always wondered why he spent so much time here instead of at home or with friends. I loved having him there and so did Fred but I felt for him. I still remember the look on his face when he showed up to our flat at 2 in the morning, his face covered in blood with his jaw all bruised.