XXXIX. BACK TO REALITY

BACK TO REALITY!

JANUARY 1977

6th Year

• • • •

Smoke filled Platform 9 ¾, as Holland let someone help her put her trunk on the train.

She had left the Potter house half an hour before everyone else had, to ensure that she wasn't seen with them in order to support her lie of where she had been over the Christmas break.

The Irish girl let out a sigh, going to get on the train when a voice called out to her.

"Holland!" The familiar voice of Bronwyn cried, and the short girl was attacked with a hug.

"Hi, Bron." Holland chuckled, patting her friend's back.

"Are you okay?!" The Beater asked, pulling away from the hug and looking at her friend, with her hand on Holland's shoulders, "You can't just leave a note and then disappear! You scared us!"

"I'm sorry," Holland told the younger girl, "I didn't really have much time to tell you guys," She said, "It all happened pretty fast."

"It's alright," Bronwyn shook her head, "As long as you're alright."

Holland smiled at her friend, "Thanks."

"Come on, let's go get a carriage for us all." Bronwyn said, getting onto the train, Holland following, before looking over at the platform entrance, sending a small smile to the people she now considered family, before following her friend onto the train.

***

Holland sat between Bronwyn and Regulus as the train started to pull out of the station, catching up, when Maxine entered the compartment, followed by Rosier and Severus.

"Holland!" The redhead girl exclaimed, encasing her with a hug, "You scared the living daylights out of us." She scolded her friend.

"Sorry." Holland told her, not really sure what to say.

"As long as you're alright, that's all that matters," Maxine said.

"How are you feeling?" Severus asked the girl.

"Can barely feel the pain." Holland grinned, before yawning.

"You tired?" Regulus asked his best friend.

"Didn't get much sleep last night." Holland shrugged, thinking back to the ten Monopoly tournament that she, Remus, James, Peter and Sirius had the night before, which lasted into the early hours of the morning - and she obviously won - leaving them all exhausted.

""You can use my shoulder as pillow, if you want," Bronwyn offered, "You look exhausted and could definitely use a nap before the feast tonight."

"Thank you." Holland said with a small, tired smile, resting her head on her friend's shoulder and quickly falling to sleep.

***

After finishing her Prefect duties, which that night consisted of leading the Slytherins to the Common Room, Holland was lying down on her ned in her dorm, wearing her pyjamas, before quickly sitting up and realising something.

"Your Christmas presents!" She exclaimed, reaching under her bed and handing her friends their neatly wrapped presents.

"You're so adorable." Bronwyn shook her head, laughing softly, making the Irish girl blush.

Maxine grinned, seeing that her gift was a bottle of perfume that she had been wanting for a while, as did Bronwyn from receiving some new Quidditch arm protectors, seeing as hers were damaged.

"Thanks." They both told the girl, before giving her the presents from them.

"Hm, I wonder what it could be," Holland laughed, as she opened her gift from Bronwyn, making her friends laugh as she pulled out quills and ink pots, "How did you know?" She giggled.

"Just a hunch." Bronwyn shrugged with a laugh.

"Okay, now open mine." Maxine excitedly told her.

"Alright," Holland chuckled, opening the gift, letting out a soft gasp, looking at the dress that she held in her hands, "Oh wow."

"I saw it in Hogsmeade and thought you might like it." Maxine shrugged, as Holland ran her fingers over the yellow fabric.

"I love it. Thank you.

Maxine smiled, "No problem." She said, before the wall started to get into bed.

"I don't think I'm ready for Herbology first thing tomorrow morning." Bronwyn groaned.

"When are you ever ready for a lesson first thing in the morning?" Holland asked with a raised eyebrow.

Bronwyn looked at the Irish girl, "Good point."

Holland smiled, looking at her friends.

She may have to go back to hiding her friendships and relationship a secret, but if it meant that she kept her three closest friends, that was something she could deal with.