L. THE MARK OF A BLOOD TRAITOR

THE MARK OF A BLOOD TRAITOR!

MARCH 1977

6th Year

• • • •

Sat in the library, Holland let out a nervous breath as she looked down at the letter in front of her, the Irish girl's name written across the envelope in familiar cursive handwriting.

Her hands shook slightly, as she opened the letter and the Slytherin's dark eyes scanned over the writing.

My Dear Holland,

You were bound to have expected, but word has gotten out about what you've been doing at Hogwarts and how you spent the Christmas break.

Personally, I am incredibly proud of you, who you're becoming and what you have done - as is your Grandmother - and you are definitely my Granddaughter. Your parents, however don't know what to think. Your father hasn't said too much on the matter, as usual, but your mother isn't too happy. But don't worry, they - as well as Elara and Theadore - will see sense and come around eventually.

Now, as for this boy that you're dating.

He better be treating you well or he'll be meeting the threatening end of my wand.

I hope he makes you happy. And as for his name - Lupin - your fathers went to school together, and he was a good man, so I can only expect that he is too.

I hope you're enjoying yourself your time with your friends.

Say hello to Bronwyn for me.

Lots of love,
Grandpa

***

Holland played with her fingers, as she entered The Great Hall at lunch, making her way over to the Gryffindor table, where Lily and Margaret were already sitting.

As she was walking, she felt something land on her hand, making the girl look down to see a drip of what appeared to be blood on her hand. Looking up the girl gasped to see 'BLOOD TRAITOR' written above her in what looked like blood.

The giant, dripping, red letters caught other student's attention, and soon everyone else in the hall was staring in silence.

Holland looked around, tears starting to form in her eyes, sharing a look with her friends.

It was then the letters fell, splattering all over the dark-haired Slytherin, making some students gasp as the girl was covered in the red substance. The only sound that could be heard was some snickers and two fifth year Slytherins laughing and high-fiving each other.

Lily and Margaret both stood up and rushed over to the poor girl.

"Come on," Lily muttered, as she and the Hufflepuff guided Holland out of The Great Hall, "Let's go clean you up."

***

"Are you okay?" Margaret softly asked Holland - who was sitting on the floor of the girls bathroom after Lily had used magic to clean the Slytherin up.

"I don't even know anymore." Holland shrugged, voice cracking.

"Those boys are assholes." Lily told her, shaking her head slightly, as both she and Margaret sat either side of the older girl.

"But they're right," Holland mumbled, leaning her head back against the wall, "I am a blood traitor."

"Yeah," Margaret nodded, "You are. You stand up for others, even when you know the consequences of doing so. You're kind hearted and loving. And if that makes you a 'blood traitor', then yes, you definitely are."

Holland gave her a small smile, tears in her yes, before resting her head on the blonde's shoulder.

"Just wait until the boys hear about what happened." Lily spoke up.

"There'll be anarchy." Margaret nodded.

"Holland?!" The familiar voice of Remus Lupin called from outside the bathroom, "I know you're in there! Can I come in!"

Lily and Margaret stood up.

"We'll let you two be." The redhead told the girl, walking out of the bathroom.

It was then a few moments later that her boyfriend sat down next to her.

"Are you okay?" Remus asked his girlfriend.

More tears started to build in the Irish girl's dark eyes, as she shook her head, now starting to sob, making Remus immediately envelope Holland in a warm hug.

"Hey, hey, it's okay," He whispered into her ear, gently rubbing her back, "I'm here. I love you. I'm always going to protect you."

***

Holland was sitting at dinner, happy, as she was surrounded by her friends, the events from lunch pushed to the back of her mind.

"Did you guys hear?" Bronwyn asked, as she and Marlene joined the group at the table.

"Hear what?" Sirius asked, his arm wrapped around Margaret.

"Someone charmed those two arseholes who were behind what happened at lunch to have twitching pig snouts!" Marlene exclaimed.

"It's actually two small Transfiguration spells and a charm," Remus shrugged, "Now if you'll excuse me, I need to return some books to the library before it closes." He said, kissing his girlfriend on the cheek, before standing up and walking out of The Great Hall.

The group stared at each other.

"...You don't think?" James asked.

"Nah." The boys shook their heads, whilst Holland smiled to herself.