Jiminy Cricket (mentor) x reader

Y/N POV:
I couldn't believe my eyes. Before me stood a talking cricket.
-Y-you can talk, I say.
-Well of course! I'm your consciousness, he says.
-B-but crickets can't talk, I say.
-I can, the cricket says.
-My name is Jiminy, Jiminy cricket. What's yours? He asks.
-Uhm, Y/N... Y/N L/N, I say.
-Nice being acquainted with you Y/N, Jiminy says and holds out a hand... or claw or whatever it's called. I put out my finger for him to shake.
-Should we get to work? He asks.
-Work? What work? I ask.
-Were gonna get you to work on your surroundings, he says and I look into the rest of my room/studio apartment. Clothes are covering the whole floor, water bottles piled into one corner and dirty socks in another.
-I know I asked for help but... a talking cricket? I ask him.
-Well you asked for anything, he says.
-I did, didn't I? I ask and run my hands on my face. I sit down defeatedly on the floor and look up at Jiminy. He hops down in the floor and kick some old shirt to the side.
-I never thought... that's someone actually listened to me, I say.
-Well I'm here now... ready to get to work? He asks. I nod.
-More ready than ever, I say.

Later;
-Well, there we go! Are you hungry? Jiminy asks. I shrug.
-Not really, I say.
-What? But we've cleaned for 3 hours straight! Are you not even a little bit hungry? He asks concerned, as I sit down on the bed.
-No I usually just eat two meals a day and maybe some snacks here and there, I explain.
-you- 2 MEALS A DAY? How does your body even function? Jiminy asks.
-I don't know, Adrenalin? I ask. He shakes his head.
-Oh no we can't have that. Get dressed, we're making lunch, he says.
-Ooooooo, ehm... you might want to check the fridge, I say sheepishly. Jiminy looks crossed at me but then jumps over to the fridge and then looks dumb founded.
-Alright... then we'll go out for lunch and get groceries on the way home, he says.
-Alright then, just let me get my going out jeans, I say and quickly change, get a fresh clean shirt and grab my bag with my card, keys and chapstick in it.
-Let's go Jiminy cricket! I say and hold the door open and we leave.

Jiminy quickly found a cute little restaurant to get lunch at.
-So Y/N, what do you feel like eating? Jiminy asks.
-I don't know... But I have been craving a juicy hamburger lately, I say.
-Well that's- that's kind of what I meant but never mind. Drink? I could go for a hot cup of earl grey tea, Jiminy says.
-Then I'll take (favorite soda), I clap the menu closes in front of me. And as if on a cue, a waitress walks up to me.
-Hi there, welcome to John's restaurant and bar, what can I get you today? The waitress asks and excitedly brings out a pen and a notebook.
-I'll take the cheeseburger meal with a (favorite soda) and an earl grey tea please, I say and give her the menu. She takes the menu and writes my order in the notebook.
-Great, that'll be out in 20! The waitress nods and walks away. Jiminy gives me a thumbs up and I smile.

As I wait me and Jiminy makes small talk and I look out of the window, watching people walk by. Suddenly I see someone... someone I don't see a lot because I hide from them. And I blush heavily.
-Y/N are you feeling well? You turned red, Jiminy asks concerned.
-Oh yeah I just... you see that person with the yellow shirt over there? I ask and point to them.
-Uh huh? He nods.
-That's my crush, C/n I smile.
-Aw how cute! He gleefully says.
-What makes them so special that they're your crush? He then asks.
-Well... they're just great in probably every way, I shrug.
-Isn't that sweet, he compliments. I giggle and then my food is brought to the table. I nod and thank the waitress and we get to eating.

We finally get to the grocery store and I grab a kart and I start looking around.
-Alright so what do you need? Jiminy asks.
-Everything, I've been out of things for a while, I say.
-Alright then why don't we start with some vegetables and fruits, to get you going? Jiminy asks and I nod and head towards the fresh vegetables. I grab anything I could possibly need and wanted to eat, before we start heading towards the meat section. I just grab a few things that maybe I would need, even though I don't eat much meat anymore. Then we grab some non/dairy products before going through the last couples of aisles.
-I need pasta, rice and cereal. Then maybe I could buy myself some desert and snacks, I say.
-Sounds like a plan to me! Jiminy cheers. As I turn into the pasta aisle I see them. C/n. I immediately turn and head to the next aisle over.
-What? But the pasta was in there? Jiminy asks confused.
-I know... but my crush was there and I haven't seen them in a really really long time, I say.
-Psssshhh, nonsense! Either way if they see you or not, you need pasta. Now turn back and get it, Jiminy arguments.
-I'm too scared, what do I even do if we lock eyes? I ask.
-You smile at them! Jiminy shouts at me.
-B-but I- suddenly I bump into something with my kart.. well, in this case someONE. Them.
-Oh I am so sorry! I immediately blurt out. They smile and laugh awkwardly.
-There's no problem, they say and then they look up at me.
-Oh hey Y/N! I haven't seen you in a while! They say.
-Uh hi C/n, I say in loss of words.
-Ask them how they've been, Jiminy whispers into my ear.
-W-what? No are you crazy? I whisper back.
-Just do it, Jiminy says.
-So how've you been? Is work good? I clumsily ask and they grin.
-I've been ok, job has been stressful though, they say. I giggle awkwardly.
-Yeah, same here, I say.
-Ask them if they're dating anyone, Jiminy whispers.
-No I am not going to do that! I whisper shout back at him.
-Are you ok? C/n asks me.
-Oh uh, yeah I just need to drink some water, it's hot outside, I say and fan myself to cover up.
-Y/N stop that and just ask! Jiminy starts getting impatient with me.
-I am not asking them if they're single! Just standing here is awkward enough, I grit my teeth.
-You... seem kind of busy so I'm gonna leave... nice to meet you again though, C/n says awkwardly, leaving the aisle and heading for the cash registers.

I turn quiet. I don't talk to Jiminy for the rest of the shopping trip. I grab all the things I needed and payed before getting in my car and going home.
-Wow thanks Jiminy, I say agitated.
-All you had to do was ask, Jiminy says.
-Well I was uncomfortable and in no way, shape or form was I ready to have a social interaction today, I growl.
-I was just doing what was best for you! Jiminy argues as I stop in the Parking garage.
-Well you don't know me! You don't know how I feel or what I am ready for! I argue back and stop the car. I sigh and lean back in my seat.
-Y/N I was just trying to get you up on your feet again, Jiminy continues.
-By getting me a date? A date isn't going to solve my life Jim, Ok? I am not just anybody, I have my own share of problems to take care of, and dating is not on that list right now, I yell.
-As my consciousness you should've known this, I say. I see Jiminy glaring at me.
-My name isn't Jim young lady, it is Jiminy cricket. And all I was assigned to do was to be your consciousness. I am just doing my best to help you get back on your feet, he explains. I look back at him with an angry glare.
-Fine consciousness you turned out to be, I sarcastically remark. Jiminy looks taken aback. Then he looks back at me with a determined face.
-Very well then. Since you know so well what to do, you won't need me any longer, he says and fixed his little hat and dress shirt. My glare softens and my face drops. Jiminy opens the door for himself.
-Goodbye Y/N, he says, before jumping out of my car and away. I sit for a while, staring behind him as he disappears. I grit my teeth and storm out of my car, closing my door and the door Jiminy opened. I grab the grocery bags from the trunk and lock my car before clamping my feet onto the floor as I head back to my apartment. I slam the door behind me as I lean back onto it and let go of the bags. Stress fills my head and tears begin to show up. I start crying as I slid down the door and hold my legs as close to me as I can as I cry into my hands. My apartment is quiet and all that can be heard are my sniffles and sobs.

Three hours later and I've finally got all of the groceries into the cabinets, the fridge and the freezer. I'm just sitting in my sofa, looking out the window at all the people walking by. I think about C/n, as I often do. I look into my room. On the windowsill where Jiminy first had showed up. I then look at my phone. No messages. No notifications. And I hadn't woken up yet so it couldn't have been a dream. I grab my phone and look into my contacts. I find C/n's contact and press their number without thinking. I slowly put the phone to my ear and hear the first signals.
-Please don't pick up... I whisper. But luck was truly not on my side today.
-Hello this is C/n! I can hear their voice.
-Hey C/n, um... I was just calling to say sorry about before, I hadn't drunk enough water today and I wasn't feeling to good. Sorry if I was weird, I say, apologizing twice, just in case.
-Oh no worries Y/N, you're all good, they say.
-Good... I say and hesitate about what I'm about to say next.
-So I meant to ask this before, but I'm, are you seeing anyone right now? I ask.
-Uh no I don't think so, C/n laughs. Then I see a figure on my windowsill... Jiminy. He smiles and nods at me.
-Well I was just wondering if uh, if you'd like to go out for dinner sometime? I ask. It turns quiet.
-Wait really, with you? C/n asks.
-Yes, I answer.
-Wow- I uh, yeah absolutely! They say excitedly.
-Really? You wanna go? I ask.
-Yeah! I-I mean that would be nice, C/n covers up and I glance at Jiminy as I smile.
-How does Thursday at 5 sound? I ask.
-That sounds great! I'll pick you up 4:30, C/n says.
-Great. See you then C/n, I say and hang up. I then look at Jiminy.

-Good job. I'm proud of you, Jiminy says.
-Thank you for coming back, I say gratefully.
-No worries. Are you ready to start again? Jiminy asks.
-Yeah, I nod.
-I also haven't made dinner yet... want to help me? I ask sheepishly.
-I got the best pasta recipe in my head already, Jiminy says. I smile and I stand up from my sofa and go to the kitchen.

Maybe he wasn't such a bad consciousness after all.