Eret, son of Eret x reader: it's been a minute since...

Y/N POV
That was 19 years ago, today. My birthday. My 25th birthday. To celebrate, I decided to go out for a fly with my dragon d/n and some other dragons from the fort. I fast figured out that the cave was a part of a big dragon nest. The queen tries to eat me, but my dragon protects me from her. The queen still doesn't like that I am staying in the nest, but I've earned some respect by the dragons living in the cave. They keep me alive and I've taught myself how too survive. I've learned how I cook food and how to keep warm with d/n's help. I've even made my own clothes by old dragon scales.

-C'mon d/n! Let's fly! I smile and pet their neck. They gurgle happily and shake its head. I giggle as d/n takes stance, the other dragons following. I lay myself flat onto their back and smirk to myself. I put down my mask and d/n flies off. I shout out in glee as they fly as fast as they possibly can. We fly though thick fog before reaching clear skies. I fly d/n around the island, and the other dragons follow us. But suddenly I hear loud voices from below. I look down and see a ship... with people on it... and they're shooting nets... Dragon trappers! I maneuver around the nets, but the other dragons don't. So they get pulled down to the ship. And before I can react, so do d/n and I. I scream as we hit the hard surface. When I hear the mean, wicked laughs, I press my body closer to d/n, so they wouldn't see me.
-Throw this one in the big one! I hear a big man say. They drag d/n around, and they struggle against their grips. Then I hear a big metal door close and they walk up and onto the deck again. I let out a deep breath and crawl off of d/n's back.
-We're gonna be alright... we're gonna be alright, I tell them and let their neck.

4 days later:
I've been starving since two days ago. I haven't got any food and I'm still hidden from the trappers. Then suddenly I hear screams and grunts and thuds up on the deck.
-Check down there, see if there's any dragons there! I hear a voice and loud steps.
I breathe quickly. 'Please don't hear me, please don't hear me' I think... but just to my luck; my stomach grumbles loudly.
-Hello? A mans voice asks.
I pull down my mask and sit up.
-H-hi, I say and look down.
-Oh my... let me get you out of there, he says and opens the door. I recognized his voice... it's very familiar.
-Thank you, I say and nod to him as I guide d/n up the stairs. There stands a bunch of... not kids but... people younger than me. The man from before walks after me up the stairs.
-Thank you... for saving me... I say and spot the other dragons.
-I shall get going, I say and sit on d/n's back.
-No! The man who saved me says and puts a hand on my shoulder. I flinch and look at him.
-You're very starved... please just let us get you eaten up before you leave, he asks.
-What about my dragons? I ask. Most Vikings were against my style of living... I learned that the hard way.
-We life with dragons... I guess you do too? Another boy asks. He has a black suit with a helmet. I nod as my dragons stand beside me.
When I look at the people around me, I notice that they all wear face covering helmets.
-Hiccup, we better leave before sunset! A big man says to the smaller one. He nods and mounts a... a... a night fury.
-Do you want to join us? He asks as the other ones mount their dragons. I hesitate, but nod. The man nods before patting his dragon and flying off. My dragon follows suit, as does the other dragon riders and dragons.

The ride wasn't long, but during it... I didn't feel threatened... or excluded. It was quiet most of the time. Their leader and chief, Hiccup, told me about Berk, and how it was a sanctuary for dragons and humans alike. I was excited, to say the least. To spend time with other people like me. But I know I can't stay. I am just here for a couple of weeks to eat up and then leave.

A couple of weeks later:
I have eaten quite a lot these past few weeks.
I've met everyone in this island, even the ones that saved me. Well, except for the man that unlocked and opened the iron door. I hadn't properly met him at all. But the dragon riders of Berk stand before me, even the man that saved me. But he had his mask and suit on.
-I guess this is it. Thank you, again, chief Hiccup for your hospitality, I say and nod gratefully to him. He smiles and nods back.
-It's was nothing. I'm just happy that you're healthy again, he says. I nod and look at the man. He stares intensely at me. Maybe because just as him, I hadn't removed my mask around anyone in this island, except for my dragon.
I sigh and smile, before turning to the sun, ready to fly off.

-Wait! The man with the mask says. I turn back around, my dragon following me. I tilt my head sideways as he walks closer to me.
-Please, before you leave... May I just... ask for your name? He asks. I look at him. I know those eyes... I recognize them from somewhere in my mind... I just can't put my finger on when.
-Only if I can know yours first, I say. The man sighs and nods. He pulls off his helmet, and I immediately recognize his face.
-My name is Eret, son of Eret, he says and and bows slightly. Eret...? But it couldn't be...
His eyes were the same... but his chin was adorned with a dragon trapper tattoo and his hair had grown immensely since we were little.
I just look at him...
-And yours? He asks. I grab my mask and pull it off of my face. His pupils dilate, much like a dragons during mating season and he stares at me.
-......Y/N...? He asks in disbelief. I smile and nod.
-It's been a minute since.... I say, not wanting to bring it up. He nods slowly and walks towards me.
-It has... he confirms.
-I... I thought... I thought you were killed by... he says and look down at d/n.
-I wasn't... I say and smile as tears fall from my eyes. He laughs in disbelief and we walk towards each other and he picks me up and gives me a big ol' bear hug. I giggle and sniffle as I pull him closer to me.
-I thought I'd never see you again, I cry into his shoulder.
-I'm here now... I'm here, he says and pulls his fingers though my hair in comfort.
-Do you two know each other? Ruffnut then asks and we part.

Eret quickly tells them about what happened, when I got carried away by a dragon on my 6th birthday and how we came to know each other before then.
-Oh no, that sounds absolutely horrible! Astrid says.
-It was... I say.
-That was the reason I became a dragon trapper, Eret says and I look up at him in shock.
-Really? I ask and he looks down on me.
-You began dragon hunting... for my sake? I ask and feel myself blush.
-Yeah. I thought that maybe if I killed all dragons... that they wouldn't be able to steal more people from me, he sighs.
-Oh Eret... I say and hug him. I feel him begin to shake and I pull away. He cries into my shoulder.
-Eret...? I ask and take his face in my hands.
-I'm sorry, he says and tries to dry the incoming tears, but failing. I look concerned at him and dry away the tears on his cheek with my thumb.
-I just... I lost you, and then I found you without knowing it... and now you're leaving, Eret says.
-It all just happened so fast, he then sobs.
-Eret, I can't possibly stay... I say sadly.
-Of course you can! Hiccup interrupts.
-We have new houses being built by the minute, and there's a job at the dragon nursery if you want it. Seems you've lived with dragons long enough to know what you're doing, Hiccup says and Eret looks pleasingly up at me.
-Please... stay, he says and puts a hand over mine on his cheek.
-... Eret, I- for me? He cuts me off. I sigh and look around. This was a dream come true. I just found my best friend again. I found an island with both dragons and humans living in peace. And most importantly, I won't get harassed by the queen of the nest anymore if I stay.
-Alright... I'll stay... I say and Eret smiles.
-For you, I add. He quickly pulls me in for a hug again. I hug back, just as tightly. Just like the good old days... I've missed him more than I've ever realized.