In a Heartbeat

Niall's POV:

I drove as fast as I could to the hospital Harry was in. There were no way that Lucy could've driven. She was devastated. She wasn't sobbing, only silent tears were running down her cheeks. Shock, probably.

The way there was longer than expected, so I tried to communicate with her somehow. There were also things I wondered about that I wanted to ask her about.

"Did you speak with Harry before.. It happened?"

She slowly nodded, keeping her sad, broken eyes on the road.

"I'm sorry, I know you don't want to talk about this right now, but.. what did you talk about?"

"We-we just talked about normal things, I guess. Nothing too special."

I nodded and decided to not ask her about this anymore. It was enough that she had to think about it all. She didn't need to talk about it, too.

It took about two hours until we arrived. The other boys were already at the hospital.

"Harry Styles, where can I find Harry Styles??" I almost yelled over the desk to the woman standing there, motioning for me to calm down.

"5th floor in room 435" she answered as she was done looking through her files.

"5th floor?! The fuck?!" I said a little too loud, because Lucy told me to calm down and watch my language when I was talking to the woman behind the desk. Even Lucy could keep calm at this point.

The lady told us to take the elevator, so that's what we did. I was jumping up and down with my feet in the elevator, impatient. Lucy was crying, silent as ever.

"Niall." Liam met me with a hug as we stepped down the hallway where the boys were sitting.

"How is he??" I asked straight away.

"He's in a coma right now, Niall."

Liam pulled away with sad eyes, a little teary. Louis was crying. Of course he was. This was Harry.

I went over to him, wanting to comfort him. I sat down on my knees and looked at him. "Louis, it's gonna be okay. Harry will be okay, I promise."

He shook his head and wiped the tears that were streaming down his face. "No, no he's not, Niall. Harry's not gonna be okay, and it's all my fault" he said, before he got stopped by his tears.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "Wait, your fault? It's not your fault, Lou, it's nones fault."

He nodded quickly as I spoke. "Yes it is, Niall! I had a fight with him while he drove. I got so mad at him for being in Virginia, and then he started to get mad at me too. Suddenly the..."

I looked at him. "The what? The what, Louis?"

"The line broke. As he was speaking" he said and sobbed.

I sighed and pulled him in for a hug. Apparantly Lucy wasn't the last person Harry talked to before the accident. The last person to talk to Harry was Louis. How convenient. A proper last conversation. Except they fought, which wasn't very good for Louis if Harry was to not wake up again. He would beat himself up for it for the rest of his life. Torture himself with the thought that Harrys death was his fault, something that wasn't true at all. He didn't intend to kill Harry, it was something that happened out of a natural fight, not planned, just a random incident.

Lucy was sitting next to Liam and talking. They looked like proper friends that were having a serious conversation together. I think they were, too. Proper friends. I don't know what made Liam like her so much that he just decided to become good friends with her, but he seemed to get happier around her. He had some problems going on with Sophia at the moment he had told me. Liam was very open about things. He didn't hide his feelings or thoughts, he liked sharing them with people, and found that it helped. God, how I wish more people were like Liam. Including me.

There was one problem, though. He could get feelings for her. That wouldn't look too good for Harry and Liam's friendship. A girl had never come between us, but Lucy was different. It was so serious between Harry and Lucy. Besides, I think Lucy only got her eyes on Harry. He's the one for her, I'm sure of that. If she's the one for him, I'm not so sure of.

We sat in the hallway outside of the room where Harry was lying. We couldn't even see him, something that annoyed the crap out of me. We just sat there, waiting for something to happen. Wondered what exactly to do, where to go.

A doctor walked towards us with a paperblock in her hands. I stood up to ask her loads of questions, but she was the first to talk.

"Does Harry have any family here? Or a girlfriend maybe?"

Lucy quickly stood up. "I'm his girlfriend'' she said carefully.

The doctor smiled. "Then you can see Harry for a bit" she said and followed her in to the room.

I glanced at Louis, who was looking at Lucy with anger and jealousy in his eyes, which turned into sad and distraught eyes, as another tear fell down on his lap. He deserved to be in there with Lucy. He really did.