Endless hike

"Liam!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming!"

"C'mon, faster!"

"I-I can't... Lucy-"

"You're going way too slow!"

I waited at the top of the hill for Liam to come. We decided to go for a hike this evening. It was a lovely weather outside, and it was a great way to kill time. Minutes felt like years now that Harry was in custody. He was going to the court the next day, and it was nerve racking. We were going to be in the court, but still. It could be the last time I saw Harry out of locked doors for a long time.

I stood at the top of the hill as Liam crawled his way up towards me. He looked completely exhausted. But I mean, who could blame him? With all that had happened the last month he hadn't really prioritized to work out whatsoever. None of the boys were really in shape now, so really, I should've taken them all on this trip. But of course they were too lazy to get their asses up from the couch and actually do something for a change.

I sighed. "You're walking slower than my grandmother."

Liam breathed heavily. "You know, you're not exactly helping!" He said and waved his arms around.

I chuckled and shook my head. He slowly but surely approached me, and soon he was standing next to me. I handed him his water bottle. He grabbed it and poured the liquid down his throat and looked at me.

"How did you get so fit? I mean, you never really have time to work out," Liam asked in a light tone.

I shrugged. "I guess I run a lot in my job. It's a lot going back and forth loads of times. And I always go over the floor twice to make sure it's 100% clean. Then I have the stairs which are pretty steep as well."

Liam sighed and looked at me. "If I was the one who had that job, I'd be happy to get fired."

I shook my head. "But you don't get it. You could have gotten any job in the city. I can't. I don't have an education or anything."

He put his hand to my shoulder. "Lucy, don't lose hope. Me and the boys will help you through this, you know. You're not alone. We're gonna help you write your resume, guide you through the prosess, and when Harry comes back, he's definetely going to help you with all his heart."

I smiled whole-heartedly and grabbed his hands. "Thank you. It means a lot."

He nodded and smiled, stroking my hand with his thumb.

"Now, we still have a few meters to go, so," I said to Liam, looking up at the steep hill in front of us.

Liam sighed and nodded. "Yeah. Come on, let's go."

I smiled at him for being so eager, although it was probably just so that he could eat the delicious food I had brought faster. I mean, it was only two sandwiches with turkey, cheese and lettuce on them and a chocolate for us to share, but after a hike like this, that was a luxurious meal. Even for Liam, who could have any dinner he wanted every day.

It started to hit me how good hiking really was for me. Or just being out in the nature in general. It was so mind-clearing and refreshing to walk past the yellow leaves, glancing at the little birds sitting on top of a tree, following every note and every move it made. The sound of a river flowing lingering in your ear, making you shiver, but in a good way. The quietness of the grass, laying perfectly upon the ground. So peaceful and disconnected. Disconnected from everything. Or maybe this was connected?

Liam didn't seem to notice the beautiful, little details as I did. He was breathing heavily the entire time, huffing and puffing, and somehow, along the road, I managed to ignore it. It wasn't too hard to try and focus on the nature. It drew me to it. It sucked up my glance and made me question science and evolution. Because how could something so beautiful come out of nothing? A coincidence? It had to be made by a god.