CHAPTER 1.2

Hinata nods her head and follows the Uchiha brothers off. Itachi sighs as they lead her to the District. Though he supposed that the less than stellar state of their former family home was really the least of their problems, he couldn't help but feel more than a little self-conscious about it.

Sasuke had only been a small boy when the Massacre happened. He was all alone. There simply hadn't been the need for him to do repairs. He only needed one house. The houses had laid empty for years before they were destroyed in Pain's attack.

"Watch your step." Sasuke walks beside Hinata protectively. "We tried to at least shove most dangerous debris off of the street, but there are probably still shards of broken glass and nails around here." Well at least he was enough of a gentleman to warn her about the dangers of walking inside their District.

His family's District now looked like a ghost town. The buildings had largely been reduced to rubble. There was broken glass, wood, nails, and whatever was left of his fallen kin's belongings scattered everywhere.

Though his foolish little brother had been right about that much. The two of them had tried to make it safe enough for people to walk to their house. The keyword was tried. He knew that it was more likely than not, that Sasuke was right to warn her about watching her step.

"Alright. I'll be careful." Good. Hinata knew enough to heed their warnings. That was a good sign. "I promise."

The yards and gardens around what was left of the houses willed with debris and overgrown grass and weeds. Perfect habitat for snakes and other wildlife. Itachi was certain that he saw a snake slithering in one of the gardens.

That didn't concern him though. They were all powerful ninjas and Sasuke had a Snake Summoning Contract. Snakes weren't a threat.

"It was beautiful once." Sasuke looks around with a forlorn expression on his face. "I know that's hard to believe now, but it really was." Itachi knew that he was likely wearing an identical expression though. It was just so sad to see what had become of their home.

The real threat was from the barrage of memories that was currently assaulting him and Sasuke. He knew that his brother was likely picturing the cozy and proud District of their youth. And he, well he was being tormented by memories of their kin. Neither of them was in a particularly festive or romantic mood. Something that Hinata was bound to notice.

Surprisingly, Sasuke opens the door for Hinata. Well that was good. At least his little brother was capable of behaving chivalrously towards young women. Well at least when he wanted to.

"We're not getting out of that contract." His brother dares to voice what Itachi had been too afraid to say.

He was somewhat comforted by the sight of their beautiful kitchen though. The cabinets were made of maple wood and the counters of white marble. Their kitchen table made of solid and sturdy oak. The floor was made of light green tiles and the walls were pristine white. Mikoto Uchiha had once been quite proud of her kitchen and it still showed to this day.

Unfortunately, his comfort didn't last long. Itachi felt like he was contaminating his mother's restored kitchen just by being there, especially the walls. The pure white walls that he could so easily imagine stained red with blood.

"Sasuke, don't say that. I'm sure that there is a loophole." He wanted to believe that, but he didn't. "There must be." That didn't meant that he was require to admit that to his baby brother though.

"He must have been planning to join the Coup, if it was successful. That's why he arranged the marriage." Hmm it seemed that Hinata had already figured out the real reason for the betrothal. "It wasn't until after you turned 21 or Sasuke was 18. By then, the Coup would have been successful or failed. It was on purpose." Hmm. It seemed his potential future wife was bright.