Chapter 22.2

Meanwhile Raiden sighs as he reads over Hiashi's response. It was not the one that he had been hoping for. To say the least, this was all getting rather frustrating.

"My Lord, they haven't said no." And Tamika's reassurances felt rather hollow to say the least.

The Uchihas should have been leaping at the chance to join their family with a Noble one. So why weren't they? It didn't make any sense.

He glares at the letter Hiashi had sent them for what seemed like a the thousandth time. Raiden didn't know why. It wasn't as if reading it was going to change the words written on it. It was a habit, he supposed.

Dear Lord Raiden,

I am flattered by your desire to join our Houses. Unfortunately, Hinata is no longer legally a Hyuga. That means I have no formal say in these types of affairs.

The choice when it comes to such things is in the hands of Itachi, Sasuke, and Hinata. Should you still desire to pursue this, you'll have to take the matter up with them.

I hope this letter finds you well. Again, I am truly sorry. I can not really involve myself in this matter. The Uchihas are rebuilding and the Hyuga Clan already numbers in the hundred. It would be in poor taste.

Sincerely, Hiashi Hyuga, Head of the Hyuga Clan.

Raiden feels himself twitch as he finishes reading it again. While that was all legally true, he would have thought that Hiashi would be more practical than this. Surely, he could see the benefits of such an alliance.

So why was he acting this way? For that matter, why were Itachi, Hinata, and Sasuke? This was such an obviously beneficial match! All of them were supposedly bright people. They should be able to see that with ease!

"Perhaps, it's just a moral objection in general." Tamika glances at him warily.

A moral objection? "What makes you say that? The three of them are involved in an arranged marriage. Why would they object to another?" Ha! That was the height of ridiculousness!

A moral objection. His advisor must surely be trying to make him laugh. That explanation made no sense.

He rolls his eyes. "I doubt that. I doubt it very much. Their own marriage was arranged." Obviously, such an objection would be highly illogical and rather hypocritical!

"People can be strange." Tamika sighs. "Perhaps, they have made the most of their unusual situation, but do not desire for the same fate to befall their child?"

It was possible, but still hypocritical. Despite that, it was still early. They could still agree. It wasn't as though the child would be eligible to marry for almost two decades anyway.

He shrugs. "We shall wait for an answer and if it is not the civilized one, they'll regret it." The Daimyo smirks.

Itachi and Sasuke might have been powerful, but they couldn't be with Hinata and the child every second of every day. In the worst case scenario, he would simply have to persuade Hinata to sign the contract. After all, mothers tended to be much more reasonable than fathers. (Well at least in his mind, anyway)!

"Very well." His advisor sighs. "I just hope that you don't do anything that you'll regret later."

He waves off the other man's concerns. "You're my advisor, but I have the final say in all matters." He smirks. "And I say that we shall proceed as planned."