CHAPTER 3

Chapter 3

Two days later, the Uchiha Brothers were working on reconstruction in their District while Hinata was working at the hospital. It was just as well. Engagement or not, she still had a job to do and they had a District to rebuild.

So they might as well pass the time productively, while they waited. "Move that support beam three inches to the left." That meant that Sasuke was stuck on construction duty and Itachi was supervising while they discussed everything.

They still had a lot to talk about. A lot to sort out. Itachi still wasn't sure how they were going to handle "sharing" a wife, but they needed to figure it out. Both for the sake of their own sanity and for Hinata's.

The elder Uchiha Brother was currently sitting on a chair that had been brought out for him to sit in while he read the blueprints to Sasuke. While he was certainly feeling much better than he had in years, Itachi was still recovering from a long-term illness that had very nearly killed him. That meant the wisest course of action for him was to take it easy.

"Alright." Sasuke moves the beam to the right. If nothing else, Sasuke was good at following instructions. Well when it suited him.

Still Itachi couldn't resist teasing him. "You know, you're almost as good as erecting buildings as you are at destroying them." Sasuke was just ridiculously easy to rile up and doing so proved too enjoyable an experience for Itachi to resist.

Unwittingly, Sasuke only further adds to Itachi's amusement by making a very rude gesture at the other man with his hand. Well Itachi supposed he deserved that one. So he couldn't really be angry with his brother for his lack of manners. He had started it, after all.

Sasuke was irritated, but as always...he was focused like a laser on his goals. "Whatever. So how did it really go with Hiashi? I can't imagine that he was happy to hear about my idea." The raven haired ninja then begins pounding on some nails.

At that moment, Itachi was rather grateful that he had always been a fast healer. If Sasuke knew that Hiashi had hit him, it wouldn't have ended well. He would rather not start off their marriage to Hinata with Hiashi's blood on his conscience.

"I'm not going to lie. He's not happy about the idea. I don't think that any father would be." Obviously. "Which father wants their daughter to marry two men at the same time? It does bring to mind many deviant scenarios and the Hyugas have always been a very traditional family." That was putting it mildly. " Particularly, when it comes to matters like courtship. And that's before one takes our unique backgrounds into consideration." It was odd that he had to defend Hiashi Hyuga of all people to Sasuke, but Itachi knew that it was the right thing to do.

Being slapped by Hiashi hadn't been fun, but it was a miracle that was all that he had done. God knows that Itachi would have done worse, if their positions had been reversed. With that in mind, the elder Uchiha decides to focus on more important matters.

"I don't think even the most liberal of ninja would think that this was normal, but you have a point. The Hyugas in particular are so…reserved?" And Itachi couldn't help, but laugh at Sasuke's rather cautious assessment of Hinata's Clan.

As amusing as it was, Itachi was relieved to hear Sasuke exercise such...restraint."That's very good, Sasuke. You exercised some restraint in your word choice. You're going to need to practice that more for Hinata's sake. She seems like a very kind and sensitive young woman." Itachi doubted that he had ever met anyone who was more innocent and sweet, really. "You've become rather abrasive. A gentler touch is needed." Which made this situation all the more ironic. An innocent woman shouldn't be allowed within a thousand feet of them, let alone in their martial bed.

Sasuke raises an eyebrow and crosses his arms. Itachi knew that his brother's pride had been wounded a bit, but it had to be done. Sasuke had to realize that he couldn't treat Hinata like he did Naruto or even himself.

"I know that. I've just never been good at being nice. I am trying though." Itachi nods at Sasuke in acknowledgement of his efforts.

Though that wasn't entirely accurate. "That's not true. You used to be a very sweet boy. It's my fault that you're not anymore, but that doesn't mean that you can't be again. This is a chance to start over, Sasuke." With that, Itachi pokes his brother's forehead affectionately.

Sasuke gives him a dirty look in response. It reminded Itachi of a cat who had just received a bath. He just looked so thoroughly annoyed that it was all that he could do not to laugh.

The other Uchiha's next question was anything, but a laughing matter though. "Well what about you? What happened was not your fault, Itachi. You shouldn't penalize yourself for it. You've more than done your penance. I don't know her well, but I do know this. Hinata wouldn't sit in your lap, if she didn't like you. Let yourself be happy for once."

"I am happy. Happier than I have been in a long time. We've been able to reconcile, despite everything. I just never imagined that I'd actually be getting married. I had hoped that you would eventually find someone that you loved." Sasuke needed to understand that he was not miserable. "That I'd be an uncle. I never intended to have children of my own. I never thought about seeking out romantic love. We'll have to approach this situation delicately." That there was no need for him to feel guilty, but every need to focus on their future wife.

Sasuke nods in agreement as he puts up more beams and some clones start on the foundation of another house. Itachi knew that even with the clones, this was going to take awhile. Still the sight filled him with warmth. Itachi Uchiha couldn't deny that it made him happy to see their District coming back to life.

Thankfully, it looked like Sasuke was actually going to listen. "Delicately. We should probably do something for her. Something that a husband would do for their wife."That was a good idea.

Itachi smiles. His brother might not see it, but he was still the same person deep down. Always wanted to make people happy. He had just forgotten that part of himself in his rage and grief.

"You're right. We should probably start with something simple though. Flowers. Flowers would be a good idea. What's her favorite flower?" Itachi probably shouldn't have assumed that Sasuke knew the answer to that question, but he had anyway.

Assumptions tended to get one into trouble, more often than not. "Her favorite flower? How would I know?" As his foolish little brother had just proven with his clueless response.

"You were classmates. Though I suppose that's a fair point. That's not necessarily something that would come up in casual conversation. Alright. How about her favorite color? We can just get her some flowers in her favorite color." Surely, the other ninja at least knew Hinata's favorite color.

Sasuke frowns and Itachi sighs. His foolish little brother didn't even know his soon to be wife's favorite color. That was not a particularly promising sign.

Damn it. He really had to stop assuming things. "You don't know, do you?" The elder Uchiha didn't know why he had bothered to ask. Clearly, Sasuke didn't know.

It was doubtful that even if Hinata told him, he would have remembered. That was his fault. He had forced Sasuke to dedicate over half of his life to revenge.

For a decade, his brother had focused on little else. Little else, but pain and hatred. That thought saddened him. He had saved Sasuke's life, but at an enormous cost.

It didn't take long for Sasuke to try to defend his ignorance on the topic. "No. We might have been in the same class, but we didn't talk. She's shy and I had other things on my mind. I don't know. She loved Naruto though. So maybe blue, yellow, or orange? Then again, she wears lavender a lot. So she might like lavender." Well that was very helpful, Itachi thinks rather sarcastically to himself.

Itachi smacks his forehead in frustration. While the reasoning was logical, that didn't really help. Oh well. They would just have to compromise.

"We'll just get her a multi-colored bouquet then. Knowing her favorite color and flower would have been ideal, but it's the thought that counts. Come on. We've been at this all day. We can afford to take a break." And with that, the two brothers headed off to the Flower Shop.