Chapter 26.1

The next day, Sasuke watches in amusement as Team Eight comes bounding in. To say the least, Akamaru was quite fascinated by their twins and so was everyone else.

"Hard to believe that either Itachi or Sasuke is the father." Kiba laughs as he stares down at them. "Do you guys know which of you is the father and which of you is the uncle yet?"

Sasuke narrows his eyes at the other ninja. He was such a dumb mutt. It was really none of his business. If they had wanted him to know such things, they would have already notified him of the twins' parentage.

Kurenai sighs. "Forgive him." Obviously, the Genjutsu Mistress was trying to defuse the situation. "He means well, but sometimes Kiba lacks tack." Well that was the understatement of the century!

Hinata shakes her head. "We don't know yet and we aren't planning on doing a test to find out."

Shino blinks in surprise at that. Sasuke couldn't entirely blame the insect lover. It was only natural that most people would assume they would want to know. And while a part of him did, another part of him didn't.

Right now, there was a fifty-fifty shot that they were his. There was also a fifty-fifty shot that they were Itachi's. While Sasuke would love them both dearly either way, well…there was a special bond that existed between a father and his children…that was somewhat more muted for most uncles.

"That's very egalitarian of the three of you." He glances at them. "I'm impressed. I'm not sure that I could do it."

Shino didn't need to elaborate on what he meant. The quietest member of Team Eight would have wanted a paternity test. He would have wanted to know if the children were his or not and Sasuke again, could certainly sympathize with that position. It just wasn't one that he was ready to make yet.

Honestly, he wasn't sure that he would ever really be ready to make that choice. If Itachi pushed, he'd probably take the test. Not until then though. For now, Sasuke was more than happy to enjoy "fatherhood" as is.

Hinata nods. "It was a hard decision, but this just seemed…fairer." She smiles at her teammates.

"Of course. Well either way, they're beautiful. Hinata, you're glowing." Kurenai smiles as she hugs her student.

That was sweet. If Hinata's mother was alive, Sasuke imagined that Emiko would be treating their wife similarly. Unfortunately, she wasn't alive.

It saddened Sasuke to know that their twins would never know either of their grandmothers in this life and only one of their grandfathers. It was tragic, but there was nothing that could be done about it. Their remaining family members would just have to love them more than enough to compensate for that loss.

Hinata beams. "Thank you, Kurenai Sensei."

Why she still called Kurenai Sensei was a bit of a mystery to Sasuke. Hinata was a Jonin now. He could only speculate that old habits died hard and it was just Hinata's way of being respectful towards her former teacher.

"So are you alright?" Kiba looks at her in concern. "I mean having twins can't be easy."

The Uchiha Matriarch laughs in response. "It still hurts. A lot, but it was worth it." She cuddles closer to the twins.

Shino nods knowledgably. "Are you going to be introducing them to your Summons soon or wait until they're older?"

Hmm. That was a good point. There was Aoda, Garuda, and Itachi's crows to consider. They probably should.

Hinata looked a little less than thrilled at that prospect though. It was only natural. After all, Aoda was a snake the size of a two story building. Of course, she was going to feel a little skittish about the idea of placing her newborns near him.