Chapter 8.2

Back in the Uchiha District, Sasuke was working on erecting more buildings. He'd managed to get a couple houses up and was thinking about dealing with some of the overgrown gardens. "Be careful. There might be some snakes in the grass." Sasuke rolls his eyes at that advice.

"Itachi, I have a Snake Summoning Contract. I think I can handle a garden snake." Honestly, did Itachi still think he was a little kid or something?

"That's true. Sometimes I forget that you aren't the same child that wanted to practice throwing kunais with me." That was an understatement. That sort of innocence was ripped out of him long ago. "You certainly proved that to Hinata last night. Did you have feelings for her before this arrangement came to light?"

Sasuke blinks. He didn't really know how to respond to that. "I barely knew her. Hinata was the quiet one in the background." If he recognized her at all it would only have been because her eyes marked her as a Hyuga. "She's less quiet once you get to know her though." He smirks.

"That's true of most people. Well I suppose you always were one to attach to people quickly, when outside circumstances don't intervene." There it was. The guilt. The guilt that Itachi tried to hide from him, but Sasuke still saw anyway. "You'll never know, how truly sorry I am about everything Sasuke." He knew. Sasuke knew. That wouldn't bring them back though.

He wanted to say that it was alright, but it wasn't. "I know, Itachi. I forgive you. You saved my life. You did what you thought was right. You did what was right." It wasn't pretty, but Itachi had likely prevented a Great Ninja War. Sasuke couldn't hold that against him. "I don't blame you for what happened. I blame the Council and this village." He might as well be honest about it.

Itachi had always been able to read him like an open book. "I understand your fury at the Council, but not at the village. Almost no one knew what truly happened." Itachi was coming to the Leaf's defense again. Sasuke doubted that he would ever understand why his brother always did that, but he supposed that it was just part of who the other man was.

Sasuke sighs. His brother was so damn forgiving. Almost unbelievably so. He almost felt guilty for his less than charitable thoughts about the village, but he just couldn't forgive the Leaf that easily.

"Most of them had no idea what was going on. That's true." Though that wasn't his only problem with them. "They're mindless, Itachi. They follow whatever the crowd says. Look at how they used to treat Naruto, until they needed him." One second he was a pariah and the next, he was their savior. It was sickening.

What made it even worse though was how easily the blonde pretended as though nothing had ever happened. The Nine Tails was able to just forget years of neglect and borderline abuse. It left a bad taste in Sasuke's mouth.

"Most people are like that, Sasuke." Itachi places his hand on his shoulder comfortingly. "If you give them a chance though, people do have a way of surprising you. Look at Hinata. She's certainly not that shy girl in the background anymore. Is she?" Itachi smiles at him.

That was true. Hinata had surprised him in a big way. The transformation was astonishing, really.

Sasuke pounds some nails and nods. "Definitely not. So how are we going to do this?" Hinata seemed bound and determined not to play favorites, but realistically she couldn't be with the two of them all the time. Sooner or later, she was going to be alone with one or the other of them.

"I'll admit that there is some jealous that naturally emerges in a situation like this." Itachi was jealous? Good. That made Sasuke feel a bit smug. "But we've both already been with her. We know that she desires both of us. So it shouldn't be an issue, if she happens to be alone with you or me." Well that was logical enough.

The question was would Hinata go with that? "I feel largely the same way. Though I don't know, if she does. Hinata's very kind." Probably not. "She'll be worried about hurting our feelings or the perception of favoring one of us over the other."

Itachi nods in agreement and Sasuke knew that his brother was thinking the same thing that he was. They had to get Hinata more comfortable with being alone with them. The only question was how?

"When she comes back, I'll tell her that I'm going for a physical evaluation." Alright and then what? "It's not a lie because I fully intend to go and that will give you an opportunity to bond with her more alone." Ah, that was brilliant! "It's up to you to get her more comfortable with the idea that eventually, she's going to be alone with us over the years and assure her that we're big boys. We can handle sharing."

"Alright. That's probably our best bet." Itachi was surprised by how easily Sasuke agreed. Then again, that was likely because it was for Hinata. Frankly, it was a relief to see that the younger Uchiha was still able to form bonds (and apparently very quickly) with people besides himself and Naruto.

A few minutes later, Hinata returns to the Uchiha District. Itachi smiles and goes to greet her. "How did it go with your father?" It was probably best to casual at first.

"Better than expected." That didn't tell Itachi much. The fact that the village was still standing meant that it had gone better than expected. "I think that he's given up on trying to break the contract." Good. Itachi no longer wanted it broken.

"That's excellent news. I'm going to head to the hospital." It was a reasonable excuse. "The medics like to keep a close eye on me. I should be back in a few hours." There. That should do it.

Hinata blinks. Itachi knew why. She had already done the math. That meant that she was going to be alone with Sasuke.

"Oh a-alright." As nervous as she obviously was about that fact, it didn't seem like she was actively going to protest. Good. That was a good sign.

"Hinata, don't look so terrified." Ah there goes his foolish little brother. No doubt, Sasuke was about to behave in a very foolish manner. "I won't bite, unless you want me too." Sasuke smirks.

Yes. He was being foolish. "Sasuke, don't tease our Blushing Bride so much." Itachi kisses Hinata's cheek reassuringly. "I'll be back soon." He left without giving her any further time to protest.