Chapter 2. When the Sun goes Down, the Freaks and the Truth comes Out

As we walked through the woods on our way to town, I thought about everything that was happening. We never drove cars, only vamps did that, the guys always said that we were faster on foot. So we walked everywhere or ran, ” You better stay close ” Jimmy stated. I rolled my eyes ” Yeah, Yeah whatever “, He stopped walking and looked at me. ” Well the sun is going down, the last thing we need is for one of us to get left behind ” he exclaimed, ” Fine! ” I spat.    ” I would feel better if we had a dog tho ” I sighed, by the time we got to town is was dark. It was harder to tell whether or not someone was a vampire or a human at night, yet vamps can smell whether or not you're a human. Traveling in groups helps the human race, I guess when we travel in packs they know we’re hunters. And then they normally don’t try anything, but tonight something was different.

We walked into the supermarket and tried to just blend in, but the longer we were there the more vamps started to follow us. ” Why are there so many following us, this has never happened before ” I whispered to Jimmy, ” Just stay calm and keep your hand on that gun ” he whispered back. I nodded, but tried to keep my cool. ( But inside I was Freaking Out ) As we finished up the shopping I received a text message from Ben, ( Yes, Cell Phones still work. This isn’t the End of the World ). - Is everything running smoothly? : Ben -, I showed it to Tom and Jimmy who both nodded. - Everything’s Fine -, we quickly finished getting everything we all needed and then left. The vamps from the store didn’t follow us outside, out there it was way worse. We walked through the streets making sure that nobody was following us and at first we were fine, until someone stopped us in the street.

" Well Well, I haven’t seen a hunter or a pack of hunters in quite a while " a weird looking guy laughed, he looked like a vampire but much more hideous. " Wow you’re ugly mate, What have you been doing? Feeding on yourself or bathing in silver " Jimmy chuckled, " Jimmy ssh! " I whispered. " Ha Ha Ha, so clever " the guy clapped, he took a step closer to us and took a deep breath in. " Well, it seems one of you have some delicious smelling blood " he grinned, that’s probably why so many of them were following us in the supermarket and this is the latest we’ve ever been out. My phone started to ring and it didn’t stop, " Go ahead answer it, it may be the last time you ever do " he smirked. I answered it without even looking at the caller I.D, I already knew who it was. " Hello? " I asked, " Where the Hell are you guys? " Ben shouted ( Us hunters have code words for if we’re in trouble ). " We’re held up " I sighed, I could hear Ben tell the other guys that the code words had been used. " Just stay where you are, I’ll find you " He said a bit panicked, " And how are you going to do that? " I sighed quietly. " You’ll see " he whispered, before hanging up. I slipped my phone into my pocket, " If you don’t want to die, you might want to get out of the fucking way and let us by " Tom shouted. The guy shook his head " Oh, you’re not going anywhere. I’ve been tracking your little group for a while and now that I’ve got you, I’m not letting you leave ", " What do you want? " Jimmy growled. The guy shrugged " It’s not a what, it’s a who. And I’m not sure which one of you has that delicious smelling blood… Yet ", I glanced at Tom who was staring at Jimmy. I looked at him and quietly gasped, his eyes were glowing bright blue. I shifted away from him and closer to Tom, I could hear the guy laugh probably because of my reaction. Just then I heard shouting and gun fire, but I couldn’t take my eyes off of Jimmy. ( What the Hell ) Finally when I was snapped out of my daze, I noticed the weird guy was dead on the ground and none other than Ben stood over him. He had the same bright blue glowing eyes, apparently I had been holding my breath. Because It caused me to pass out..

" Sshh, I think shes waking up " I heard Dean whisper, I opened my eyes and sat straight up.      " What The Fuck!!??! " I shouted pointing to Jimmy, " Skye calm down " he sighed. " Don’t tell me to calm down! What was that? " I exclaimed, " I know you probably have a few questions but I think we need to wait for everyone else " he stated. I glared at him " Where is everyone? ", " They’re just making sure no one followed us " Dean sighed. It was 30 minutes when everyone returned, I had already backed myself in to a corner because I felt like now I was being lied too by everyone. " So! " I shouted " Are you going to fucking tell me what that was back there!? What was wrong with his face and what was he talking about! ". They all looked at me, " Skye…" Ben sighed, " No! If you don’t tell me what’s going on, I’ll leave and take my chances " I exclaimed. Ben sat down in a small chair, " Fine, tell her Jimmy " he said looking at me. " That guy had been feeding off of other vampires, that’s why his face looked like that. We call them the Freaks " Jimmy sighed sitting on the sofa, " I didn’t think they did that " I exclaimed. He nodded " Most of them don’t, but every so often you get freaks like him. And then we take care of them ", " Okay and what was he talking about " I ordered them to tell me. " Since you were 13 a specific smell hes generated off of you, most vamps are drawn to it. It’s your blood and they all want it, we don’t know why yet. We just stop them before they get to you " he explained, " That’s why they were following us in the shop? " I whispered. Jimmy nodded, " But why haven’t any of them ever found us here! " I yelled, " The dogs scent cover it " Ben sighed. " And? " I asked " What was up with your eyes ", they took a few seconds but told me. " Skye, we’re shifters. Only Jimmy and I, our scent mostly covers yours. That’s why when you leave one of us always wants to be with you " Ben explained, I sat there confused. I felt like I was going mad, I knew about shifters and I knew that they were on our side. " Were you ever gonna tell me any of this? " I questioned, they shrugged.

I grabbed my jacket ” I need to think about all this, it’s a lot to take in. I just don’t know if I can trust any of you anymore “, ” Where are you going? ” Jimmy asked me. ” I’m taking Tucker for a walk, I’ll be back in an hour ” I said walking out the door, What do I do now. I’ve known Jimmy and Ben for most of my life, how did I miss this. I walked through the woods my mind was boggled and I was too confused to talk to anyone now, ” Come on Tucker! ” I called to my golden retriever. He followed me on my heels, how will I face them now. Will I ever trust them, those were only a few questions that were running through my head.