CH.8: The Night of The Ceremony

My cut from two weeks ago has fully healed now and scarred up but it still hurts sometimes. Tonight is the night of the graduation ceremony and so only 218 trainees made it to graduation.
***
"Offer you're lives!"Our Supreme Commander yells from the front of a crowd of Cadets.

"Yes, sir!" We all reply in unison.

"From this day forth, all of you who have graduated from trainees have three options." The supreme commander starts. "Firstly the Garrison, which is responsible for wall fortification and defending the towns.
Secondly, the survey corps, which resolutely ventures out the walls into Titan territory.
Lastly, the military police brigade, which governs the citizens and maintains order.

Of course only those who we previously announced to be ranked in the top ten trainees can select the third option!" He finishes

Yes! I've achieved my goal. I'm now top of the class! But I have to turn down the military police and go with the survey corps, because this time, were the ones who's going to devour.

***
"I did it! Now I can enlist in the military police brigade!" Connie yells, raising his cup to Sasha.

"Food will never be a concern again!" Sasha exclaims.

We are all in the mess hall celebrating and I'm sitting with Jean at a table. "Tch, why did I get ranked below Eren, damn it!" He curses under his breath.

"Hm, I don't know." I say. He looks up at me and scowls.

"You can't say anything, you don't know how I feel. Walls, you are top of the class." Jean hisses.

"Wow, you're quite grumpy." I murmur. I take a sip of tea and set it down.

"You can't win!" A voice echos across the hall.
It was Thomas standing up next to Eren, Armin and Mikasa. "You know too right? About the hundreds of thousands of victims. It was obvious after we lost twenty percent of the population. Mankind can't win." Thomas finishes.

Oh dear, he's triggered Eren I can feel it. Now Erens going to say one of his 'inspirational' speeches.

"So... are you giving up because you think you can't win?" He asks standing up straight.

"Well-" Thomas starts.

"True, up until now it's been a losing battle for mankind. But that's because we didn't know much about the titans! A battle of resources against the titans is pointless." He starts. "Although we lost, the information we obtained will surely bring some hope. Are we going to abandon the tactical advances gained through tens of thousands of sacrifices and wait quietly for the titans to devour us all? You've gotta be kidding me." He clenches his hands into fists and brings one up to his chest. "I'll... kill all the titans and escape these confining walls! That's my dream.
Mankind hasn't been truly defeated yet." He finishes.

He stares at the crowd for a while and I swear I saw a tear in his eye. He grunts and runs off through the doors.
"Eren!" Armin yells and runs after him behind Mikasa.

"Man, what a problem child. I'm going to go help." I sigh and stand up. "I'll see you tomorrow for patrolling."

"Yeah, bye. And good luck with the suicidal bastard." Jean taunts, waving his fingers at me.