CH.27: More Like Us

We were nearing Ehrmich District, because I could see it in the distance. We were currently going through a small forest.

"Hey, four eyes. Is staring at rocks some depressing new hobby of yours?" Levi says, leaning forward to look at her.

"Yeah, about that... This is no ordinary rock. It's a hardened fragment of skin left behind by the Female Titan." Hanji informs us, holding out the rock for everyone to see it.

Armin gasps and shifts in his seat. "It didn't disappear?" He asks urgently.

"Right! Long after Annie reverted to human form, this piece of her Titan's body remains. It didn't evapourate. It's not disappearing. So a possibility occured to me. I compared it to a piece of the wall, and the structural composition was practically identical. I think it's safe to say there are Colossal Titans inside all the walls, and their hardened skin makes up the surface we see." Hanji explains.

I look over at Armin who thought of that aswell. "Armin was saying the exact same thing..." Mikasa trails off.

Armin takes a big breath inward. "S-So-" Hange sticks her hand in Armins face to stop him from talking.

"Let me finish, Armin." She says as Armin's talking is muffled. "Right now, we don't have any way to seal the hole in Wall Rose. No unless we happen to find a boulder that's exactly the right size, and I don't think Ezlyn has the energy to use her abilitys to create a barricade with some thorns. But what if Eren and Ezlyn when she has energy, in their Titan forms, could use that same hardening ability to seal the hole in the wall?" Hanji lets go of Armins face and sits back in her seat.

"Use us... to seal the wall?" Eren mutters.

"You both should be able to create the same material. The hardened skin won't evaporate after you revert to human form, so it's possible..." Hanji elaborates.

"I think we should try it. If this strategy works, we could use it to reclaim Wall Maria as well. All our plans until now have been built around bringing materials to seal the wall with us. The need for supply outposts limited our progress. But if we didn't have to bring supply wagons along, we could send a team directly to Shiganshina. And what if we moved at night on top of that?" Armin says in a convincing manner.

"At night?" Hange questions.

Armin nods. "Yes. We travel at night, when the Titans can't move."

It's an extremely smart plan made by a highly intelligent person. It'd likely work. It all adds up, and the success rate is quite high.

Hanji lifts her hand up then starts stroking her chin. "I see... A small enough group could make it all the way to Wall Maria overnight. This situation is about as bleak as it gets, but it looks like hope isn't entirely lost yet." Hange responds, looking at the crystal in her hand intently.

"Yes, but the whole thing is riding on whether or not Eren and Ezlyn is actually able to seal the hole." Armin looks over to Eren and I. Eren gasps sharply while I sit there and look at the stars above.

"I realize we're putting a lot of pressure on you both, but do you think you can do it?" My goggled friend inquires us both.

"It's not a matter of what they think. Do it. You don't get a choice. It's our only way out of this. Our forces are doing the best they can, but they're powerless in the end. You have to succeed. Ezlyn, Eren." Levi interrupts Eren from speaking.

"I will! I'll seal the wall no matter what!" Eren blurts. Levi looks over to me awaiting an answer.

"Oh, yes sir! I'll do my best to help!" I reply, flashing a quick salute. He smiles for a millisecond.