CH.38: Distant Memory

I skipped through the gates of the city with a warm smile. The smell of freshly baked goods wafting into my nose. The sounds of people laughing and talking  echoing around me.

I was sent to Trost District to pick something of Mama's up from a jewelers, without anyone to help me. If I was kidnapped Mama wouldn't care, she said 'that she didn't have time to worry about me, she just wanted her parcel'.
But I didn't mind, atleast I am getting out of the house to explore some more areas.

It was my first time in Trost District so I don't know my way around. Mama said to just ask someone the directions and I said I would, but I lied. I am a bit too shy to ask a complete stranger directions.

I continue skipping along the street, humming along to a tune my piano teacher taught me. Her name was Miss Karrah, a strict but pretty woman.

I started walking as I neared an unknown location. I was too caught up in my imagination I lost my though on where I was going. I was in an alleyway, a dark one. The walls of houses on each side casting away the sunlight.

I heard a shout from deeper down the narrow space, echoing against the walls. But it didn't sound like an adult. It was more small and fragile like a person my age.

"Help!" The voice screams. I jump out of my skin and freeze on the spot.

'Are they in trouble?'

'Should I help them?'  

Without thinking my justice-side kicked in and I began sprinting down the alley. The same thought repeated in my mind, 'Help them.', 'Save them.'

I turned a corner and sunlight soaked my skin. I saw two boys getting beaten up by kids that looked a bit older than me.

"Shut up freckles, no one can hear you." A tall blonde boy hisses, kicking a black haired, freckled boy in the stomach.

I gasp at their cruelness and hide behind a corner to see if they'll do something else.

"Help us!" A plump little boy yells, tears streaming down his face.

"What did I say! Shut up!" The tall, blonde boy shouts at him in an agressive tone. He kicks the boy in the shin making him scream out in pain.

I walked out from behind the corner. "What are you doing?" I question trying to stand tall, since I was short for my age. The three older kids turn to face me.

A brown haired boy burst out laughing like a maniac. He then stopped and started walking over to me with a disgusted look on his face. "No, what are you doing?" He sneers.

"I'm here because I'm looking for the jewelers but I happened to run into this scene." I reply without hesitance. I stood my ground not getting intimidated by this boys presence. I was taught self-defence by Else and Charlie parents due to bandits in the area.

"The jewelers are on the river-side road. Your miles away from that little girl." Another boy says timidly,  he had glasses and close to white hair.

I make an 'O' shape with my lips and look at the ground for a moment. "Well, I'm glad I happened to come across here. Because I'm going to save them!" I yell, snapping my gaze upwards suddenly comng face-to-face with the brown haired boy.

"What can a short girl like you do?" He snares. I stare into his empty eyes with confidence.

"I can beat the hell out of you." I say bluntly.

His face softens and he smiles. "Go ahead then." I stand there confused. "Beat me up. You said it yourself, you can beat me up." I stay still, trying to not beat him up. His leg suddenly swipes my own from under me and I fall to the ground.

A hand tangles itself in my hair and picks me up off the ground, straining my neck. "I knew you couldn't do it." The boy spits in my face. I look over at the two boys I tried saving and the boy with a muffin-top stood up.

"Leave her alone!" He yells. The boy that was holding me turns to look at him.

"Or what fatty!" He shouts. "You gonna be the knight in shining armour?! And
'save your damsel in distress', Huh?!" Those words hit like a tonne of bricks. For some reason I remember those words from somewhere.

I had lost it. The boy that stood up to save me was distracting the boy that was hanging me. It was my chance to show my true colours. My bloodlust.

"Hey." I say solemnly.

"Wha-" I punch the side of his face with all my might and he drops me. Clutching onto his face, grunting in pain. The tall, blonde began to charge towards me. Screaming out curse words.

I turn on my heel swiftly and round-house him in the face. He twisted in the air twice and fell to the ground.

"You bitch!" The boy behind me starts running for me, arms outstretched ready to stangle me. I simply duck from his hands and elbow his stomach. He keels over in pain. I grab both sides of his head and pull it down onto my knee with immense force.

I heard a loud crack and the I let the boy go. He fell to the ground facing up and his nose was mangled.

"Behind you!" One of the boys yell to me. I turn round and the white haired boy was sneaking up to me with a knife in hand and a grim look.

He swings the knife at me, catching my arm. I look at my arm out of the corner of my eye and it was oosing a deep red liquid. 'Damn it, that's deep.'

He swings for me again and I duck, the blade chopping off a bit of my brown, long hair. I wince and run through his legs. I kick his back and he falls face first into the street pavement.

I heard a gasp. I turn round to see a plump woman. "What the-" She looks at my arm. "Oh my, are you alright?!"