CH.58: Numbness

I stumble on top of the wall after killing so many Titans within ten minutes. I'm out of breath and it feels as if my legs are going to buckle and yeild to exhaustion. But, rage and purpose is driving me beyond my limits to kill that Monkey guy.

Levi jumps up onto the wall as well and walks towards the other side, steam emitting from the Titan blood covering him. He looked like a demon that just came from hell but, I bet I don't look any different.

He let his foot slip off the wall and he used his gear to land on a roof next to a familiar face. Eren. But there was two other bodies, one with Titan marks... Wait that's Bertholdt and the other one...

The identity of the second one was unknown. They looked terribly injured. Or horribly burnt. I knit my eyebrows together and jump down to the roof where my brother and fellow Captain knelt.

"That was the last of my gas. I'll chase him! Hand over your gas and blades!" Levi orders him, reaching his hand out ready to grab the stuff he was about to recieve.

"Right!" Eren reply's curtly.

"Hurry!" Levi's patience ticking over. The person that was seriously injured coughs. A familiar cough. Armin. My heart drops into my stomach and I suddenly feel sick.

"N-N-No wa-way." I stammer. I cover my mouth with my shaky hand. "Is tha-that Ar-Armin?"

Eren turns round and kneels over Armins burnt body. "Yeah! Keep it up!" I hear ODM gear lines behind me and I turn. Mikasa lands on the roof behind me. She notices the situation and tears begin to gloss her eyes.

"Armin's breathing again!" Eren wails. "Hang in there! Just keep on breathing!"

Now's the time. The time to switch off...

"Armin?" Mikasa stutters, pain evident in her tone.

"Captain! Hurry, give me the syringe!" Eren shouts urgently. Levi closes his eyes and reaches into his pocket. A shadow is cast over his eyes. Eren grunts and picks up Bertholdt in a headlock. "Make Armin into  Titan and we'll have him eat Bertholdt! Hurry up and give it to me!"

I glance over at Levi. I'm surprised he's not acted rash since Eren's ordering him about.

"Yeah..." Levi holds the silver case up to his heart. He hesitantly starts to hand it to Eren.

As the metal box was centimeters away from reaching Erens outstretched hand, someone lands on the roof on the other side of me. Floch had a blonde commander attached to his back. He was out of breath and Erwin was unconsious.

"Captain... Levi. I finally found you. Commander Erwin is badly wounded! His stomach is gouged... and his organs are demolished! The blood just won't stop!" My eyes widen at the sight of a commander I thought and saw was dead. Levi's eyes contained hope and regained their spark. "I thought that injection might be able to help, but...  What do you think?"

"Huh?" Eren mutters as Levi pulls the syringe back over his heart. "Captain?" Levi stands up and helps Floch up onto the roof and helps lay Erwin down on the roof.

Levi hovers his hand in front of Erwins nose. Hope once again fills his eyes to the brim. "He's... still breathing. He's still alive." Levi takes in a deep breath and stands up. He lifts the box up. "I'm using the injection... on Erwin." He decides.

I feel numb. I don't understand what to feel at this moment in time. Sadness. Happiness. Guilt. Dispair? Erwin is my childhood savior, yet Armin's one of my childhood friends.

Eren stands up abruptly and towers over Levi in an intimidating manner, but Levi didn't flinch. I stand up and walk over to Eren and place my hand over his shoulder.