CH.52: The Lands We Once Called Home

I stand upon Wall Rose, looking out into the sunset with Zip's reins in hand. I stand next to Eren, Mikasa and Armin.

"The sun's almost down. It's finally time." Eren says plainly, looking out into the horizon with me. I lead Zip into the elevator and hand his reins to one of the other scouts.

Tonight is the night we leave to retake the wall. Whether we happen to meet Reiner and Bertholdt there remains a mystery. We just have to wing it and go with the flow. If some of us die, it's our time to go.

I walk over to the edge of the wall to see a massive gathering of people.

"Take back Wall Maria for us!" Someone shouts.

"We're trusting you with the future of humanity!" Another yells at the top of their voice.

"Captain Levi! Thank you for saving our city!"

"All of you better come back in one piece!"

"But make sure you get our land back!"

Sasha, Connie and Jean walk up next to me and Sasha taps my shoulder and smiles. I understand what she means and fling my arms up in the air with them.

"Yeah! We'll make you proud!" The four of us shout down at them. I had a crazy smile painted over my face. I close my eyes and imagine white rose petals.

My hands began to feel a tad heavier and I open my eyes to see a big pile of white rose petals in my hands. I offer my friends them and they take some each. We fling them over the edge, each one fluttering down onto the crowd.

"I promise we'll get the wall back! No matter what the cost!" I wail, cupping my hands round my mouth so it's a bit louder.

I hear a loud war cry from my left and I see Commander Erwin with his fist in the air using the top of his voice. The crowd below goes crazy and does the same back. Erwin draws a sword and points it beyond the wall.

"The operation to retake Wall Maria begins now!" He yells. We all rush to the elevators and I stand huddled next to Connie, Sasha and Jean.

Once the elevator reaches the bottom I jog out of it to find Zip close by. I brush my hand over his nose and rest my forehead on his jaw. "You'll be a good boy for me, won't you?" I whisper. He whickers and nuzzles my shoulder as if he was saying 'Yes, I'll be good for you.'.

"Good." I do a run up to the stirrup and launch myself onto the saddle, landing softly on the leather. My boots rubbed against it making a squeaky noise as I shorten my stirrups for the take-off.

I kick Zip on and trot up next to Levi with our squads right behind us. Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Connie, Sasha, Jean, Ebony, Zarah, Elias, Aksel and Cosette had serious expressions on their faces.

Soon everyone was in the formation ready to go. Erwins pure white horse rears up ono it's hind legs. "Advance!" Erwin orders. I kick Zip's ribs and urge him into a gallop to follow the others. Everyone let out a war cry full of effort and bravery.

I push my worries aside and change my mood so it's serious. It's mandatory that I mentally prepare myself for the deaths of my comrades otherwise I won't be able to control myself when the time comes. I'm grateful that I wasn't made to take the Titan Serum, because my brain is very indecisive especially under pressure.

I glance behind me at the wall that was now a good distance away. The sun was almost down and we are at least nine miles away from Wall Maria. Nine miles away from the town I once ventured. Nine miles away from my house I abandoned. Nine miles away from the bones of my childhood friends.

I furrow my eyebrows as I was dwelling on things that were illogical. I turn to Levi. "What route does Erwin plan on using?" I ask, shortening my reins.