CH.41: The Cave of Crystal

I heard muffled struggles and I opened my eyes slowly to be greeted by a bright light. I winced and tryed to cover my eyes but my hands wouldn't move.  I heard the rattle of chains as I tried moving again. I was chained up.

I look around properly and it was a strange sight. I was in a cave of crystal. Blue, luminous crystal that wouldn't let you know if it was night or day. It also occured to me that I had been here before... but I've never been here before? I heard more muffled struggles to my right.

I turned to see Eren, also restrained with a gag in his mouth. "Ermmph." I tried speaking but it seemed I also had a gag in my mouth. Eren was only wearing trousers so I quickly glanced down to look at myself.

I was wearing a pair of black shorts and a cropped top that seemed too small on me. It was hugging my chest a bit too tight making it difficult to breath.

I saw that I was restrained by my waist and ankles. The chains seemed to be attached to the walls on either side of me, same with Erens.

The floor was cold against my bare knees and there was a gentle breeze coming from nowhere making me shiver.

I heard footsteps from below and looked to see who it was. It was my blonde, female friend, Historia. She gasps. "You're both awake? Everything's going to be fine. Just hang in there!"

'How are we chained up and not her?'

"Eren, Ezlyn. Listen to me. For as long as we've lided and for many years to come, my father has been humanity's greatest ally." Who's her father?! "We were completely wrong about him." Wait a minute, I remember now. On the way to the experiment a few days ago she told everyone about her back story and how she grew up...

Before the Endurance Experiment-

The sound of the cart wheels going over stones was very feint. Which is a good thing because we were just about to gain important information from Historia about the secrets she'd hidden from all her friends.

"I was born on a small farm in the northern region of Wall Rose." She starts. "The land we farmed was owned by the noble Reiss family. Some of my earliest memories are of helping out around the farm. But my mother spent all her time reading books. I never once saw her doing any work. She was a beautiful woman." Historia's mother for some reason reminds me of my own.

"Every night, someone would come pick her up in a wagon and take her to the city wearing fancy-looking clothes. I never thought to question the way things were. But after I learned to read and write, I began reading books to imatate my mother. Only then did I learn how alone I was.

In every book I read, parents would care for their children. There were stories about children talking, hugging, and fighting with their parents. I had never experienced any of those things. One day, I got curious enough to try hugging my mother. I wanted to know how she would react to it.

She shoved me away, but for the first time ever, she had acknowledged my presence. So, ultimately, I was happy. But she then said while standing up; "If only I could bring myself to kill you..." with tears in her eyes.

Those were the first words my mother spoke to me. After that, she left the house and began living somewhere else. Then, five years ago, one night a few days after the fall of Wall Maria, I met my father for the first time. He said to me; "Good evening Historia. My name is Rod Reiss. I'm your father."

He was the lord who owned the land we lived on. My mother, who I hadn't seen in years, wore a frightened expression. My Father then knelt down in front of me and said; "Historia, you're going to come live with me now."

He then took me out the house with my mother but she soon froze after seeing a figure. She screamed and tried running away but there was more people to stop her. Two of them restrained her. My mother started going on about how I'm not her child and one of the men ask my father if this was true.