CH.19: Ghost on our Trail

We rode through the abandoned part of Karanese District fast. Everyone looked dead ahead. Until I heard massive thuds from the left of me.

I notice out of the corner of my eye, Miche sniffs the air then his head snaps in the direction of the thuds. Soon after Hanji notices as well.

"A 10-meter-class approaching from ahead, on the left! While I'm quite interrested in the contents of its stomach, I'll leave this to the support squad!" She shouts. I finally see the ugly Titan. It's eyes bulging out its head in a horrifying manner, and it's rather fat looking as if it's had plenty humans to eat. I gag at how ugly it is then I look back up ahead. I then remember at time when we were disscussing plans for the expedition.

_____A_Week_Prior____

"The support squad will only escort us to the old town area. Beyond that is all Titan territory. All we can count on is the long-distance scouting formation Commander Erwin devised. This is where we of the special-ops squad will be." Gunther explains to Eren and I. He uses his pointer finger to point out our position. C/R= Center Rear a position more protected than the supply carts.

___Present___

We ride past the last row of horses then we're out in the open country side within Wall Maria. Tis a shame we had to abandon this beautiful place, I even had to abandon my home.

Erwin swings out his left arm. "Assume the long-distance scouting formation!" He orders us. I stay close on his tail as everyone else begins spreading out. Hanji and Miche then take their places on either side of me. I guess it's for protection.

"Right, now I'm going to explain this awesome plan of ours. Ready, because I'm only saying it once." Hanji says firmly. I curtly nod to her -Saying I'm going to listen-

"Good, now. This expedition is not going to last as long as you think it is. Erwin has chanced the fact we may have an enemy from within the walls that might come out to try steal or kill you and Eren due to your Titan powers. And this person may also be the person who killed my precious Sawney and Beane."

"But, sorry for interrupting, why would they want to come out here. It's also impossible to get out on horse back, the gate closed as soon as we go out of it." I tell her.

"If you didn't interrupt me I would've told you how they'd possibly come here already." I feel my cheeks heat up a bit from embarrassment. "Anyways, what I was going to say was that this person could have abilitys like you and Eren. Titan shifting abilitys to be exact." My eyes widen as she continues. "So this time we've gambled two things, whether there is an enemy to be worried about and if there is an enemy it is a Titan shifter." Hange continues. "In the supply carts we have loaded dozens of Titan traps so if there is an enemy shifter we will head to the giant forest and set them up there. We will be using Your squad as bait." My head snaps round to her.

"Hange, but what if this 'Titan' does actually kill Levi squad including Eren?!"

"Let me continue, girl." She looks over at me with scary eyes. "There's no guarentee they will or will not survive. We'll just need to see the outcome of this plan, that'll determine whether they'll survive. Anyways, we need you to shift just in case this Titan manages to dodge the traps, which they likely won't but just for extra precaution." She finishes then looks over at me. "Are you up for it?"

My body floods with determination to capture this supposed threat. "I'm up for it. I'm certain I can rely on the Commanders Wits. But I'm unsure on whether I can transform without any problems." I say to her. Hanji's eyes light up with excitement.

"Good, and Thank you for aiding us with your strength." She thanks me. I smile softly but that smile doesn't last long. I spot multiple red flares to the right of us. I remember the training for learning communication within the ranks. Red flare means a Titan has been spotted, Green flare means the Commander has seen the red flares and Black flare, it's used when an abnormal Titan has been spotted. The other two flares aren't used much. They are the Yellow and Purple flare. Purple for emergencies like, horses have went missing or gear malfuntioning. Yellow is for when a Titan manages to enter he ranks without getting caught.