CH.61: Malice

I had got home right before the meeting after I had walked Grisha to his house. It was very boring and all the stuff the adults said made no sense to me what so ever. Half the time I'd just played with my little cousins, Willy, who was my age and Emma, who was still a toddler.

The next day news had spread like wildfire. A little girls body was found in the river in the morning. The body was reported to have been mauled by some sort of animal as it was covered in blood. The identity was revealed to be someone I was close to. Faye Jeager. My good friend that was so pure and innocent, to have been wound up into a horrible death.

I had cried my eyes out to my mother, Sheele and she tried her best to comfort me. But, I never calmed down. I had cried for at least a day as my father remembered. He said that he'd never seen me so devastated in all his life.

Yet I was still lectured on how our ancestors done horrible things to the world and that was why Faye was killed.

"One thousand, eight hundred and twenty years ago, our ancestor Ymir Fritz made a contract with the Devil of All Earth and otained the Power of the Titans. Upon her death, Ymir's spirit was split into the Nine Titans who formed the Eldian Empire. After defeating the great nation of Marley, they ruled over the continent and created a new Titan, named the Bloom Titan, hence it's name it could create anything related to plants. Thus began the Dark Ages... The Subjects of Ymir called other races inferior and began to oppress them. They stole lands and fortunes, and forced other races to bear their children to increase their numbers. Their ethnic cleansing continued for some 1,700 more years. But once the great nation of Marley plotted to subvert Eldia and its arrogance from within. They brought seven of the Ten Titans under their control and were victorious in the Great Titan War 80 years ago.

The Eldian King at the time erected three walls on the island of Paradis and fled there with many of his people. Our ancestors were abandoned and left behind on this continent, but... The gracious people of Marley let us live and stay on their land..."

Although it sounded believable to other people, it didn't to me. I found it stupid and irrelevant. They were pure lies. And I bet my family knew that aswell but didn't want to interfere. Even though they had one of the most powerful Titans, they still were under Marley's control.

It took years for me to get over Fayes death and it didn't help that Grisha never came out to play with me anymore. I was heartbroken over both of them.

When I turned fifteen I had stopped grieving and unwrapped my mind from the past that cannot be changed and moved onto what I was going to do in life. It was mandatory that I inherit the Harper's fortune and build onto the family with my own children and husband, but I had other things in mind.

It took months on end to convince my mother to let me do what I wanted after I annoyed her for so long. I wanted to do pharmaceutics and work under the wings of a friendly doctor. I wanted to make medicine that could help people overcome horrible diseases.

After working hard at my private lessons given to me by a strict professor, I finally got a degree in pharmaceutics and started looking for jobs almost straight after when I was 18.

I found a pharmacy on the other side of the internment zone and wrote a letter to them asking if they're hiring. I got a reply a week later saying that they were and asked if I wanted to work with them.

I sent one back saying how I was looking for a job revolving around pharmacuetics and that I'd love to join them. So, I added all my details like my full name; Miss Arielle Serenity Harper, date-of-birth; 19-12-808, my race: Eldian/Honorary Marleyan.

I got a letter that said how grateful they were and gave me a date to start work. I. Was. Estatic.

I had prepared a whole week, making sure I had everything I would need for the 'big day'. And when that 'big day' came, it crumbled into the 'worst day ever'...