CH.40: Mission Failed

I gasp at the sudden memory and snap round to Jean. "Jean! Did you know that was me?!" I wail. He looks at me confused.

"Whats gotten into you? I don't understand what you talking-" I cut him off by throwing my arms round him. He seems to stiffen."E-Ezlyn?" I look up at him.

"I'm that girl from back then. The time I fought off those bullies? The one that told you looks don't matter." I say trying to get him to remember. He smiles gently and starts stroking my hair. I feel confused at his actions.

"Of course I knew it was you. Even-... Even Marco knew it was you. But I never expected you to remember at a time like this." He curses.

I suddenly hear loud bangs in the distance that sounded like gun shots. "Gun-shots!" Me and Sasha seem to shout at the same time.

"Huh?" Connie cups his hands over his ears. Sasha points in the exact direction they came from.

"From over there!" She shouts.

"I don't hear anything?" Jean lets go of me and walks over to where Connie stood.

"You think something happened?" Jean asks, tensing up.

"Most likely." Mikasa says catching my attention. " What the captain wanted to me to tell you all is that starting now, there will be times when we have no choice but to fight humans." I smile evily at the thought of being able to fight humans.

"Wait, does that mean-" Mikasa jumps off the roof with her gear.

"Hey!" Connie yells at her. I follow suit and jump off the roof beind Mikasa.

"Ezlyn!" I hear Jean yell after me. I go up next to Mikasa.

"Are you ready to kick ass?" I ask with a smug grin.

She smirks. "Anything to protect you guys."

I hear the others come up behind us. I land on a roof and sprint then take off again. Connie suddenly gasps. "Look, it's Eren and Historia!" He yells. A cart that was fleeing had Eren and Historia in the back, knocked out.

Suddenly Levi comes out from behind a corner chasing the cart. "Captain!" Armin wails.

A guy came from behind with ODM gear and pointed a gun at him. "What the hell!?" Jean shouts. The guy fires the gun then Levi manages to dodge. He fires a hook into the guys stomach and pulls him towards him. He uses his blade to cut right through the guys abdomen and lets him drop dead like a fly.

"Wow, never knew Captain was such a badass." I laugh. Levi stops up against a building and turns back to look at us.

"Catch that wagon!" He orders.

"Yes, sir!" I say almost instantly. I launch myself ahead of everyone but it doesn't last long. Everyone including the Captain catch up.

"Listen up! They're used to fighting other people! They already got three of ours. You can't afford to hestiate if you want to get those two back! If you get the chance, you kill! Got it!?" Levi asks.

"Understood!" Me and Mikasa reply.

Levi jumps on top of one of the stalls and launched a hook into the guy that was guarding the cart.

"Armin, Jean, Ezlyn! Secure the wagon! We'll cover for you!" Levi shouts to us.

"Yes sir!" Armin shouts. The three of us head towards the wagon full speed. Armin and Jean land on the back of it and I propell myself towards the girl that was driving the cart. I knock her out the seat into the back next to Jean. Armin takes the driving seat. Jean points his sword to her face. I jump out the cart and follow behind.

"Don't move!" He shouts. The girl starts to roll onto her side. "You..." She knocks the blade right out of it's hilt. Knocking Jean over. The girl stands up and points the gun to Jeans face.

"Jean!" I cry out ready to kill the girl. But I was too late, a gun had fired. The girl dropped dead and I fell into the cart. Armin was holding a gun.

Suddenly three people with anti-personell gear come out of nowhere pointing guns at us. "Guys!" Mikasa screams. Sasha and Levi scoop Armin and Jean out of the way but no one came for me. The guns fired and I felt a sharp pain in my chest.

My own scream of pain fills my ears as a bullet went right through my heart. Two people I didn't know landed on the cart and took charge. One of them shot me with a weird looking bullet. "Ezlyn!" I heard a familiar voice cry.

I started feeling numb but my consiousness was slipping through my fingers like sand. I fell to the ground of the cart, my own blood oozing out of the hole in my chest. Why wasn't my healing ability kicking in yet?

My eyes fluttered closed and I felt trapped within darkness.