CH.46: Kenny Ackerman

A few hours after we killed Rod Reiss, I was ordered to go out with Levi and a few other scouts to look for possible survivors from the crystal cavern.

I jump off of Zip's back and unhook my rifle from my saddle. I turn to look at the massive hole in the ground where the cavern caved in on us. The part Eren and I created was visible, but it was painfully obvious what part I created. The part I had created had ivy growing over it with purple Hedera helix'es blooming from them.

I felt a hand go down on my shoulder. "That's going to be a problem when you plug up the wall. Ivy seeds are poisonous so that'll be dangerous to the bratty children that are too curious." Levi sighs. I hum in response.

"Yeah, I'll try and fix that so it's not ivy." He lifts his hand from my shoulder and turns round. I follow suit. A group of seven soldiers stood there awaiting orders.

"Go search the remains of the cavern for survivors, but always have your rifle loaded, these people are dangerous and still may be able to attack. If you find any come tell me or Captain Harper here." He gestures to me. Captain?! "Now disperse!"

"Sir!" They all shout and go running towards the cave. I turn to Levi.

"What do you mean by Captain?" I raise an eyebrow. He also raises an eyebrow.

"Erwin didn't tell you yet, your being promoted to a captain and you'll gain a squad as well from the new batch of Cadets wanting to join us." My jaw drops. He makes an 'oops' expression and sighs.

"Well, I didn't mean to say that much." He runs a hand through his hair and turns to face me again. "Surprise and congratulations." He says dully and shakes his hands in the air.

A squad?! Me in command of peoples lives?! It's happening so fast.

"I- Erm... Thank you." I start shuffling away. "I'm just gonna... look for survivors." I turn round to go walk round the perimeter of the hole.

I hold my rifle close to my chest as I walk round the massive hole wide-eyed.
I will have a squad! I wonder what they'll be like. Will I still be under the watch of Levi?

I looked up from the ground. "Shut up brain. I'm looking for people." I hiss under my breath.

The sun was burning on the horizon, radiating a gorgeous glow. Just like the night Wall Maria fell.

Else, Charlie and I watching the sunset while examining the lands beyond our understanding. When we all agreed we wanted to join the scouts and discover the unknown together. The bright light of when the Colossal Titan transformed. The sounds of Charlie and Else's screams echoing through my ears. The sight of their bodies hitting the ground in a disarray of blood and mangled bones. The sights I could never erase from my mind.

I sigh and rub my watery eyes. "No promise shall be broken!" I say confidently, pushing my shoulders back to look like I was, when inside I was falling apart like an old, cobble wall.

A figure was making their way over to a tree in the distance, clutching their stomach. It looked an awful lot like Kenny, the guy that attacked Rod Reiss.

I jumped into action and started sprinting back down the way I came towards Levi.

Levi was talking to one of the soldiers when I reached him. "Levi! I found a survivor! He's in critical condition though." Levi's eyes widened but relaxed again.

"He?"

"Yes, when I was chained up he talked to Lord Reiss and Lord Reiss addressed him as Kenny." I explain breathlessly. Levi's eyebrows furrow and his grip on his gun tightens.