CH.10: Promise

(3rd POV)
Jeans knees gave out beneath him as he watches his best friend get devoured by a Titan.
Blood is flying everywhere and a single leg falls from its mouth.

"It, can't be..." Jean stutters. He suddenly remembers his friends last words and it repeats over and over again. 'Go be a Hero.' He gets up and grabs the young girl that was next to him and runs.

Her eyes wide open in fear, staring at the severed leg that's lying on the ground. "I- I'm sorry... you're friend died because of me." She cry's, her hand over her mouth as Jean runs to find his horse.

"Don't blame yourself... you're only a child." Jean answers, holding back his tears. He made quite a strong bond with Ezlyn, same with Marco. A pang of guilt hit him, how was he supposed to tell Marco why she died. Ezlyn sacrificed her own life for his own.

Jeans horse was in view now and he raced towards it. He gets to his horse and sits the little girl on the front of the saddle and jumps on behind her. He grabs the reins and kicks the horse forward into a canter.

Jean and the small girl canter past many people who are grieving next to pieces of the wall that have blood and limbs sticking out from under them. "Poor people." Jean whispers under his breath.

Children of all ages crying for their parents and upset Mothers and Fathers looking for their children in the crowd of panicked people.
They race towards the outer gate and arrive moments later. "Right, head out of the gate and look for you're parents okay. You'll be safe out there." Jean says as he gets off his horse and lifts the girl down from the horse and onto her feet. The girl nods briefly and runs as fast as she can out the gate.

"Cadet!" An instructor runs up behind Jean and taps him on the shoulder. Jean spins around and salutes to his supreme officer. "All cadets have been summoned to HQ for orders from Captain Weilman. The rear guard will take over from here."

"Yes, Sir!" Jean reply's quickly, holding his salute in place. "I wish for the rear guards victory and success."

The instructor nods briefly. "Thanks, now go Cadet!" The instructor runs past him and Jean breaks his salute and uses his gear to get to HQ.

He attaches one of his lines to a house and runs atop of it in the direction of HQ as fast as he can.

He fights back his tears from reminding his self that he could've saved Ezlyn but he just stood and watched like he was a spineless coward. Now he has a heavy weight on his back, and can't shake it off.

He lands at the HQ gates and runs through them into the courtyard, were loads of Cadets and members of the Garrison stand in lines. Just as the Captain begins to speak Jean slips into the lines of terrified Soldiers.

"You all have grown to be fine soldiers, and I expect you all to fight you're hardest and overcome this problem! As you all know the Colossal Titan has appeared and breached the wall! We are now in a situation when the Armoured Titan can appear at any moment and break the other gate and we lose wall Rose." The captain yells with a stifling expression on his face. "Now split into you're respective squads as you did in training! Under the command of the Garrison, you will carry out supply support, intelligence communication, Titan clean up, and so forth!" He continues. Everyone around is close to crying or is very pale. "The Garrisons interception squad will take the vanguard section! The training corps under our commander will take responsibility for the middle guard section! The Garrisons elite squad will take the rearguard section! Note that, according to reports, the vanguard has already been wiped out!" Everyone's faces went an even paler colour at hearing this news. Jean began to break sweat.