I cant go on without you - fluff

Freddie roamed around his house like a ghost, not quite sure of what to do. His face had no set expression; it was blank as he passed the same room for the hundredth time, wasting the hours away without an activity to do. He was lost in his own, depressive thoughts as he held a beer can right in his grip. He knew he shouldn't be drinking - he needed to take care of the girls - but he hadn't been able to think straight ever since the fight. Ever since he left.

He stopped by the sliding doors that adjoined the living room and conservatory. He stepped through, going over to sit in one of the chairs in the window-bearing room. He looked through the glass, watching his young daughters as they ran about, joyful and free, in the green grass, every so often stopping to peer down into the pond at the koi fish, in awe of their unique and beautiful patterns.

It was for the first time that day, a smile came to Freddie's face. He loved his girls more than he could ever express. They meant everything to him. He hated himself for throwing such hardships in their direction. He knew how his daughters hated when their parents argued. Freddie hated it when he and Jim argued. He really didn't expect it to go so far.

Freddie had phoned Jim's number every day since the Irishman walked out. Every day he got no response. He must have sent ten thousand texts, all left on delivered. Jim hadn't even bothered to look at them. With every message left unseen, Freddie's heart had broken a little bit more. Did Jim really not care about the three of them?

The argument was over something petty. It was just a tiny little problem. Of course, both men were as stubborn as the other, and it was blown out of proportion. It ended in Jim throwing his wedding ring onto the floor and storming out of the house, the door slamming so hard behind him one of the paintings had fallen. Freddie in question had picked up the ring, holding it close, and burst into a fresh set of tears. Tears of regret, sorrow and longing.

He had kept the ring secure, in a jewellery box in his bedside table drawer. He daren't take it out - he knew he'd cry if he held the hollow golden circle in his hand. He wondered to himself, as he took another long gulp of his drink, if Jim would ever come back.

He tossed the empty beer can into the trash, near to tears with the thought of never seeing his partner again. He missed the long nights of kisses and cuddles they had before the fight. Freddie would tuck his head under Jim's neck and the Irishman's hand would sweep along his spine, bringing him to a state of complete calm. They would lock lips, smiling into the kiss, their hearts overflowing with the love they had for eachother. Oh he missed it.

He wanted to lie in bed with Jim again, holding him close, dreaming sweet dreams, secure in his lover's embrace as they dozed. Freddie's head had been messing with him ever since Jim left. His eyes had lost their cheerful sparkle and were replaced with a dull, glassy coating. He seemed to be always seconds away from crying. He wandered once more into the living room, and his eyes swept over all the photographs on the fireplace.

They all had a story behind them, and as his eyes passed from one to the next, his mind flicked back to the day it was taken, like he was being shown a film of his past. The first one was taken at the park, before Emi was born. He, Jim and Soph had gone there after they had lunch, and Jim had snapped a photo of Sophia on the swings, Freddie behind her, in the middle of a joyful laugh as she had screamed, "I'm going higher than the clouds!"

The next was when Emi was a toddler. She had taken her first steps into Jim's arms, and he hoisted her up. As Freddie was taking the photo, she had reached out a hand for her daddy, and said hand covered half of the screen. It was a terrible quality photograph, but it was dear to Freddie and Jim's heart, and so they framed it and displayed it for everybody to see.

The one in the middle was Freddie and Jim's fifth anniversary. Freddie felt a familiar pang in his heart as he looked at the black and white picture. Jim had taken Freddie to this beautiful park, and they'd had a picnic while watching the sunset. Jim had fed Freddie spoonfuls of red velvet cake, the Persian laughing while also popping strawberries into Jim's mouth.