Chapter One: One Book closes; the Beginning of a New Chapter

A/n: A story I have uploaded on another site, and I hope it's not too bad ^^. I really enjoy this story alot ^^

"I could never hurt him enough to make his betrayal stop hurting. And it hurts, in every part of my body."- Veroncia Roth

The teen huffed as the ground beneath her shook. She ducked under a rock, desperate for some kind of cover. There was an explosion, and the girl ducked as pieces of debris flew past her like bullets. She looked wide eyed at the scraps that shot into the rock beside her. There were deep craters where the surface was once smooth.

"Sh-shit!" She breathed under her breath, her heart racing fast as she looked over the other side of the rock. People were wounded, some dead. Those who were alive were groaning, blood everywhere, as they cried for help. The Jonin was frozen with fear, even though she knew better.

"Well, well, well if it isn't Izami Sato herself. Or do you still use Hatake?"

'Th-that voice!' Izami looked over at the man who had called her name. His face was smirking slightly, his hands on his hips as he looked at her. So many memories ran through her mind. So many bitter-sweet memories...

"Sa...Sasu...Sasuke...?" Her green eyes narrowed slightly.

"Glad you haven't forgotten me." His voice seemed to soften slightly, but she knew better than to let her guard down. Sasuke was an S- ranked criminal.

"I should arrest you!" Izami yelled, standing up in a fighting stance.

"But you don't have that power...Do you?" The girl growled, and glared at the insolent boy.

"Maybe I do."

"You're not Hokage."

"I can do whatever I want! It's called citizen arrest!" She ran to him, building her charka for this one hit, however...

"The attack you chose was wrong." He stated simply as she fell to the ground. She looked at him, her eyes narrowed slightly.

"I'm going to get you Uchiha!" She yelled, running towards him, but this time he knocked her to the ground, his foot pressing hard on her already injured stomach."ACK!" She coughed up blood, and glanced up at him with wide eyes.

"This time...I'll make sure to you never wake back up... You'll be the frist bond to break!" He yelled, and stabbed her once again. Her green eyes widened as the darkness closed in on her. The last thing she saw was Sasuke walking away from her, his bloody sword dripping blood behind him like some sick trail." Later!" He called sadistically over his shoulder with a cruel laugh.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Izami glared at the fire as the memory sprang up in her mind. It was almost two years old, and she wasn't sure why she couldn't forget it. Then again, the scars of The Fourth Shinobi War were still strong. Kohona was still being repaired, and expanded for the flood of refugees of other villages that had yet to repair themselves. The Sato girl was now trying for ANBU, already making herself quiet a name as a Jonin. She glanced over at the boy who was beside her. His dark eyes glanced at her for a moment, his eyebrow quirked as if questioning what the other was doing. She glared, and looked away, her mind once again slipping back to that place that it always seemed to go back to, even if she never wanted to have those memories.

Plus, once I figured out what the hell had happened to me, and everything that had gone down, what irritated me most about that entire situation was the fact that I wasn't feeling humiliated, or annoyed, or even fooled. Even if I knew those are what I should have been feeling, betrayal was what I felt. My heart broken not just by a guy I was in love with, but also by, as I once believed, a true friend.

"Everyone's forgotten what's happened in the past, Izami. Why can't you?" Sasuke finally spoke up, his tone could almost be read as apologetic. Izami huffed, and looked away. What was the guy doing? Reading her mind or something?

"I haven't forgotten. I can't believe Tsuande put me on a mission with you of all people." Izami snapped. She looked back at him, glaring.

"You're supposed to be watching me to make sure I don't mess up. This message had to be delivered, so-"

"They should have thrown you in jail, and kept you there." Sasuke sighed, and shook his head. They already did that. He was only recently released from his prison. A sort of new beginning for him. Couldn't she just forget about all the crap in the past between them? But then he remembered who he was with. Still, a part of him wanted to try to get her forgiveness. A part of him didn't understand that need. Another part of him understood all too well.

"If that's how you feel-"

"It is."With that said, conversation between the two stopped with neither one wanting to pick it.

Later that night, the fire was roaring between the two. Izami was silent as she cooked her own dinner. Sasuke was already eating his. The Uchiha's dark eyes glanced up at the girl with a slight smirk.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Brings back memories, doesn't it?" He tried to keep his tone friendly, but a bit of teasing seeped through. Izami glared at the man in front of her, and then looked back at her cooking dinner.

"Whatever. Don't talk. You're giving me a headache." Izami wasn't even snapping, like she usually did when talking to him. Instead, she was completely monotone. Something the Uchiha absolutely hated hearing from her. It wasn't like her. Sasuke frowned, and shook his head as he looked down at the food he was eating.

"I'm just sayin-"

"I don't care. Shut up." This time, she did snap. She looked up at him, glaring hard. That tone annoyed Sasuke. He was never good at following orders after all. Besides, he liked getting reactions out of her.

"Stars seem nice. Been awhile since I was able to relax outside. I kinda like it." His tone was casual, but still teasing. Izami rolled her eyes, and gently took her now cooked dinner out of the fire. Sasuke looked at her with his eyebrow quirked."Be careful it's hot." Izami glared at him, and then sat the can aside as she dug into a bag beside her, and pulled out a pencil and paper. She glanced at him, eyes narrowed slightly.

"I'm going to keep a log of this mission just as I have of every other mission I've ever done. I don't want to miss anything when I give the report to the Hokage." Sasuke nodded, not really understanding the hostility in her voice, but chose to ignore it as the girl continued writing.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Later that night, a restless mind kept the girl up, alot of memories past by Izami's eyes as she glanced over at Sasuke's sleeping body.

I don't understand my feelings. I really don't. I don't understand how I could hate you so much after so much time. How, no matter how much I'd like to not hate you, I hate you even more. It grows. It just doesn't make sense.

The Jonin girl sighed in frustration, and turned her body so she couldn't even see Sasuke's body at all, but still...She couldn't sleep.

"It was a mistake," you said. But the cruel thing was, it felt like the mistake was mine, for trusting you."

Izami drew random doodles in the grass. After a bit, she closed her eyes, and forced sleep to come to her. Like so many nights before since the war ended, it was only filled with nightmares of memories that seemed to haunt her every night. It wasn't very peaceful in the least bit.