Chapter Four: The Party

"So I placed my heart under lock and key. To take some time, and take care of me. But I turn around and you're standing here" ― Debra Cox

It was a couple weeks after Sasuke and Izami saw each other. Though, if Izami were to admit it, it was mostly because the Jonin was avoiding the Uchiha man. She still didn't like him in the least bit, especially because the Hokage pretty much had been giving her Genin ranked missions as part of her punishment for leaving the village over four years ago, and returning shortly before the new Team Seven, with the leader being Yamato and Sai replacing Sasuke, left for that mission to that bridge. Two years, and she was still considered a "Runner", as they had put it. Though, in her mind and it was partly true, that was all Sasuke's doing. Some part of Izami was absolutely bitter about it. Another part was just thankful that they didn't throw her in jail.

If there was somehow, some way, I could go back in time, and tell my younger self what I know now about how hopeless it truly was to chase after Sasuke. The things he'd do to the village, to me, and to my family and friends, I would do it. Izami would often think to herself.

To pass the time so she wasn't completely bored to death, Izami explored parts of the village that were being re-built. Since even civilians were being allowed to help for carpentry work, and other such jobs, Izami helped where she could. She assisted those with injuries with the minor bit of Medical Ninjutsu she had learned, and helped move pieces of lumber, and other such odd jobs that she knew she wouldn't get paid for. When she wasn't helping with expansion of Kohona, or training, she was sitting in her home, where she preferred to be most days, and sat reading, and writing. So, she really had no down time to even see anyone, which was soon remedied.

It was during a day when Izami had taken a break from helping around the village. She was sitting by the familiar lake that she gone many times. She sat under the familiar tree, eating an apple, and writing in her journal, more focused on the story that it contained than anything else. She was completely relaxed for the first time in ages, but her guard was still up. Izami stiffened slightly when she felt a familiar presence coming towards her. On reflex, her writing slowed as her ears focused intently on the sound of the other's soft footsteps. Izami's mouth grimaced slightly, her heart pounding as if danger were approaching her. Izami knew how stupid it was to have that reaction, but she still couldn't help herself. It had almost become second nature to her by now.

"Hey, Izami-san, are you busy?" Sakura's tone was cautious, like she was almost scared that Izami was going to hurt her. Izami just stared at Sakura, and then shrugged slightly as she sat her journal aside. Sakura took that gesture as a silent invitation to join Izami, which Sakura did as she sat beside the Jonin.

"Well, hello stranger. What's up?" Izami tried to keep her tone light, and friendly, but she could still hear the annoyance behind it. It had been such a long time since the two had any sort of positive interaction with one another. Or any for that matter of fact. There always seemed to be a sort of tension between the two kuinochi. Oddly, Izami would find herself almost missing the friendship they used to have with one another. So, a part of herself was always so elated to have any interactions with Sakura.

"It's been forever since we last spoke, hasn't it?" Sakura's tone was soft, almost like she was thinking the same thing Izami was thinking. Izami glanced at the pink-haired kuinochi beside her, and smiled very, very softly.

"Hmm, yes. Apparently, it's been so long that you feel the need to resort to being formal with me, Sakura-chan." Izami's tone was teasing, a tone that Sakura had not heard in a long time. Sakura laughed, and rubbed the back of her head slightly in embarrassment. Then, she looked away for a moment, and then back at Izami with an apprehensive look. Izami raised an eyebrow at the action.