Between the Here and Now

Chapter Seventy-Four:

Sasuke caught Izami as she fell, limp, onto his body. He could feel his chest well up, but he couldn't afford to let his anger show through.

"Sakura, take care of Izami." Sakura didn't need to be told twice. She began checking for Izami's vitals, but by the way her already pale face seemed to drain of color, Sasuke knew it wasn't good. His stomach boiled with red hot anger.

"Sasuke-teme, you take care of Izami. I'll fight Kabuto-san." Naruto spoke softly. Sasuke could only nod softly, and looked back at Izami's face as he supported her head on his legs.

Her battle worn, dirty face was completely calm. A trickle of blood seeped down her puffy, pink lips. He wiped at the blood, and then looked at Sakura, as she attempted to do something. He couldn't be sure what exactly, but it looked like she was trying to drain the poison out without having to use her antidotes. He guessed she didn't pack much. He looked back at Izami, softly petting her matted hair from her face.

I'm sorry, Izami...I couldn't protect you...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The area was wet. That's all she could feel. Wetness. Izami tired to look around, but she could see nothing in this darkness. Water dripped from somewhere, but she couldn't tell where she was.

"Am...Am I dead?" She questioned, standing up. Suddenly, a blinding white light shot through the area. Izami grunted, turning her head, and squeezing her eyes shut as the light shot through for a few moments. A second later, the light calmed down, and she was able to open her eyes slightly."Still nothing..." She whispered to herself. The area was whiteness, and nothing else."Where...Where am I?" She questioned again, feeling completely lost, and confused.

Izami's ears prickled when she heard a sharp, high pitched laugh of a child. Izami's body seemed to move towards the noise, and when she did, a painful pang went through her chest.

Izami's child self was laughing slightly as she played in the snow. Izami recognized the place. It was her families compound. It was winter time, but Izami didn't have any remembrance of this time.

"Mommy, mommy!" Izami's child self turned her head, green eyes shinning brightly." Wook! Wook! Sno man!" Izami felt another painful pang as she saw her mother, a much younger version of her mother, smile,and kneel behind her daughter.

"What's his name?"

"Name?" Her mother nodded.

"Everything has a name." Izami's child self looked at the snow man, a thougthful expression on her face.

"Heomu!"

"Hitomu?"

"Mmhmm." Izami's eyes narrowed slightly.

Hitomu. Why was that name suddenly so important? She couldn't identify the reason, and that bugged her. It bothered her much more than it should have bothered her, but the name was something important. No. Not something important, but rather someone important. But who? She never ran across anyone named Hitomu. So why? Why was it suddenly important. Her head hurt just thinking about it, but suddenly the scene changed again when Izami blinked.

It was sandy. The smell of salt was in the air. The vision panned out more, and suddenly Izami was on the beach. Izami recognized this place. It was a place her father used to bring her family for vacations.