Someday, Already here?!

Chapter Sixteen: Someday, already here?

"No matter how much suffering you went through, you never wanted to let go of those memories." ― Haruki Murakami

After Sakura and Ino had left her, Izami had spent the better part of the day shopping for things she needed like food, clothes, weapons, scrolls, and other sort of things. After she got what she needed, she decided to spoil herself. So, she had also spent some time in the local hot springs, enjoying, and pampering herself. After a full day, or what felt like a full day, she felt more relaxed, and at peace then she had in ages.

Izami walked into her apartment, and began setting things in their proper place. After which, she began making dinner. She was boiling the noodles she needed for the ramen when there was a knock on the door. Confused, she paused. With her hand on the fork she was using to stir the noddles with, she sent out her charka, trying to sense who it was that was at her door. Izami sighed upon realizing who it was that was at her door. Sasuke. Why was it every time she began to relax, something happened to undo her relaxation? She thought about leaving him hanging, standing there outside her home, for a moment, but then decided against it.

There was another, impatient knock on the door. With another sigh, and a roll of her eyes she quickly sat the pot off the burner, and quickly answered the door with a scowl on her face.

"What do you want Sasuke?" Her tone was snappy. Her expression went from a simple scowl to a glare.

Sasuke, put off by both her anger and his own confusion of why he even cared to come here, gave her a glare to match hers, but he knew doing that would get nowhere with her. She would only get more angry, or annoyed. Or both. So, he softened his look into its normal expression after a moment, hoping she would at least cut him a little bit of slack. It didn't work. Izami remained scowling as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Kakashi made me promise him that while he was away these next few months that I would check on you." His voice was smooth as always. Not giving any tell-tale signs of an obvious lie.

In his eyes, it was the only thing he could think of that would soften her up a little. Using Kakashi had always had a weakening affect on her that he knew all too well, but it was quickly becoming clear to him that she wasn't buying what he said. He really should have known better. She wasn't the type to easily believe what others told her. She crossed her arms, and leaned against the door. Sasuke sighed, and rolled his eyes.

"Just let me in. It's rude to leave a guest just standing out in the cold." His voice returned to being cold, angered almost.

"It's fine if it's someone completely unwanted." Izami's tone didn't change. Izami knew better than to believe Sasuke's blatant lie. Kakashi would NEVER do that to her, knowing her hatred towards Sasuke. That's how she knew it was an obvious lie. Her eyes narrowed slightly as she sized him up. He hated that look. His eyebrows furrowed, showing his displeasure.

"I didn't have to come all this way. I could have just stayed home, and not have worried about you. At least in my own home nobody annoys me."

"I'm surprised you don't annoy yourself. Actually no I'm not surprised about that." Izami sighed, and stepped back." But you are right." She stepped aside, and gestured for him to come in. He looked at her in surprise. He wasn't expecting her to give in so easily. She sighed, and glared at him."Look, it's not that I'm starting to like you or anything, ok? It's just that I've had a good day, and it has me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. So, you can either come in or go home." Sasuke didn't need to be told twice. He quickly stepped inside, looking around as he removed his shoes.

Izami closed the door behind him. She crossed her arms, glaring at his back side for a moment before relaxing slightly, and moved past him. She headed straight towards the kitchen, to which Sasuke was quick to follow.

"So what the heck do you want?" She asked as she moved the pot back on the burner, and began to stir the noddles. Her tone was different this time, Sasuke noted. It was calmer. It was distracted. It was nice to hear. At least it was different than the snappy tone she seemed to have taken a liking to using around him lately.

"Sakura was worried about you. She said she saw you today, and that you seemed out of it. Despite what you said to me, I care enough to come and check on you." His own tone softened, face relaxing just as much as her features relaxed. He watched in slight amusement as the others checks reddened and the scowl returned, but he knew it was from embarrassment.

"I don't need you to be a damn babysitter, Sasuke. I'll be fine." Even if she wanted to sound angry, or annoyed, her tone remained calm, playful almost.

"I know, but still. I wanted to know that you were truly ok." Izami, for once, didn't retort. She didn't even scowl. Instead, her face seemed to relax more, a hint of a smile tugged at her lips. Sasuke wasn't sure how to react, for once, he felt unsure about her reaction.

"I'll be fine." She answered softly, again taking the other by surprise."Are you hungry? You're lucky I made enough for two." She looked over her shoulders, her harsh tone had returned. Oddly enough, it was more comforting than her kind tone she hadn't used towards him in a long time. However, her face remained soft.

"Yeah. What is that? Ramen?" Sasuke's eyebrows raised slightly. She nodded again as she took out two bowls, and two pairs of chop sticks. She began to fill up the bowls. Once they both were filled up, she carried both of them plus the chop sticks to the table, giving Sasuke one and the other for herself.

"Yeah. I know you don't like it, but it's rude to eat in front of others while they eat nothing." She broke apart her chopsticks, and looked intently down at her steaming food.

Sasuke watched her with slight intensity. It was the same look someone would have when looking at dangerous, but calm animal. Something akin to curiosity and a bit of respect. However, the expression was quickly gone as he broke apart his own chopsticks, and started to stir his noodles. He smirked slightly.

"But calling them every name in the book is ok?" His tone was teasing as he looked at her with an amused expression. Izami gave him a teasing smile to match his own expression.

"Only if they're as annoying as you." Her tone wasn't harsh, as usual, but rather light, and teasing.

"Hmph." He smiled at her. She quickly looked away, and began eating.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sasuke ended up staying for a couple of hours. Neither had planned on it, and both were quiet surprised. Izami had surprised herself by finding she had liked his company more than she would admit out loud. Maybe it was just her loneliness that enjoyed his company, but whatever reason it was...Izami liked it more than she would admit.

"Are you going to be ok?" Sasuke asked with a bit of worry as he stood up, ready to leave. Izami looked at him, and nodded slightly.

"You act like you expect me to hang myself or something. I'll be fine." She said through a small laugh that surprised her even more. Sasuke looked at her for a second longer, and then nodded swiftly.

"Well, I'll see you later." Izami nodded, and watched him walk out the door before closing it behind him.