25th Chapter: LOVE NEVER DIES

Zhan continued to weep, so hard that he started to lose his breath and his eyes become swollen. Haikuan, who was standing by the table while looking helplessly at the sobbing man, felt bad for what he said earlier. He knows not to blame Zhan but Zhan can't blame him either for safeguarding his little brother, and it was not his intention to make Zhan feel bad but only wanted him to understand what the outcome will be if Zhan refuses to confess everything to Yibo now. Upon seeing how miserable Zhan was and realising how fragile Zhan's condition is, Haikuan grabbed a glass of water and walked to Zhan, giving the man a gentle tap on the shoulder.

"Here, drink this.."

Said the man extending his arm with the water in his hand.

Zhan wiped his tears, left and right with both his sweaty palms and looked at Haikuan who was holding the glass for him. He gets it from Haikuan's hand still shaking and let out a fake smile.

"Thank you.."

Zhan murmured as his tears continue to fall and his lips turning dull. He sips a little and puts it down the table, avoiding eye contact with Haikuan.

Zhan doesn't what to speak anymore, he can't reason with anybody or defend himself, simply because he feels like he doesn't have the right to. He knows that whatever his mouth let out, people would still think that it was his fault that Yuta is dead, that his own best friend gave him his heart because he needed it more than him. Yuta trying to commit suicide at that time was not the case any longer, it is the question of why he chose to give Zhan his heart in the first place.

In Zhan's mind, people will always think that Yuta chose to end his life so that he can continue living and that Yuta was obliged to give him his heart because he was his best friend. He is afraid that if he tells anybody especially Yibo, that they will start to treat him differently, that they will start to treat him as Yuta and not Zhan anymore.

He is afraid to be accused, criticised and be left alone, again.

Still, without looking at Haikuan, Zhan quietly mopped his face and heaved a deep sigh.

"You're right. Yibo deserves to know.."

Zhan mumbled and Haikuan nodded in approval. He smiled at Zhan but also understands what the man is going through. It will not be easy but it is the right thing to do, and he and his Uncle will give him their support. After all, Yuta was once like a family and they are also at fault for keeping it from Yibo for so long.

He stood there face to face with Zhan while the man wipes away the remaining tear that dried upon his cheek.

"Thank you, Zhan. Now, pull yourself together and let's cook lunch, okay? Everybody's waiting.."

Zhan glanced once at Haikuan and with no words to assert, just nodded. Haikuan turned his back from him to prepare to cook and Zhan, who was left alone standing as stiff as a rock, not even noticing that Haikuan already walked away, remained to look down with a blank expression. Haikuan was assembling the ingredients when he realised that Zhan was not behind him and so turned around to check, only to see an addled man still standing where he had left him. He put down the piece of carrot on the chopping board and stared at Zhan for a while, thinking what to say to him to make him feel better. After a moment of silence, he called for him but the man was too occupied with his thoughts that he hears nothing except for the borrowed heart beating inside him.

"Zhan.."

Zhan winced and lifted his face to the sound of Haikuan's voice.

"Yeah, sorry.."