30th Chapter: HEARTBREAK (Pt.1 of 2)

"Let go of my hand first.."

Yibo didn't know whether to be shocked or angry by the way Zhan uttered the words. He sensed something different with his lover, he is not the usual Zhan and he is not used to it. Somehow, he felt a mockery in Zhan's voice and even if he doesn't admit it, he felt disheartened. His almond eyes which are usually empty and soft were engraved with emotions he couldn't decipher. It was steady but at the same time, broken. What happened? Did he hit his head? Did I do this? He thought while removing his hold on Zhan's hand. Both looked away for a moment for they felt uncomfortable by each other's presence, like strangers.

Zhan turned his back on his lover and Yibo quickly followed his motions. The man didn't say anything and continued to walk through the room, waiting for the other to speak but at the same time, preparing himself for whatever Yibo is about to say. He was anxious but tried not to show it, and even if he does, it's not like Yibo will show any concern for it.

After a minute of stillness, someone finally broke it, in his usual cold and rough way.

"I asked Jackson to come.."

When Zhan heard the name, his body stiffened and his breathing stopped for a second. He wanted to shout to Yibo why but, restrained himself. Zhan could only shut his eyes and bit his lower lip out of frustration but since he feels like none of his words matters to Yibo anymore, he just let out an exhausted sigh and turned around to face him, wearing the disguise he has been living in, as always.

A smile. An unreal one. What choice does he have? Nothing. For now, he has to remain and endure it.

"Oh..? That's nice of you to invite him, Wang Yibo.."

Zhan expressed in a sarcastic tone. His brows hoisted and his eyes broadened, in an act of pretend.

Yibo's expression didn't alter, not even one bit, he didn't say a thing and just stared at Zhan as if he is taunting him but, the other had already thought of defence against the sudden attack. A little something to make Yibo experience the antagonism he had made him perceive when he mentioned Jackson's name like it was nothing.

"By the way, I asked Zi Yi to come too. Hope you don't mind.."

Zhan let out, proudly. As if he really did but, truth was, he didn't. He wasn't planning to but, now, he has to. It was just an excuse, a shield to protect the little sanity left in him from blowing up.

Zhan smirked and this irritated Yibo. Not only Zhan was behaving oddly, but he also knew how he hates it when he talks about any girl, even if it is just a friend. His expressionless eyes camouflaged the bitterness he was feeling but inside, he was trying not to touch and hurt Zhan. So, with a calm voice, he inquired the man staring at him courageously.

"Did you ask me if you could invite her..?"

Yibo intoned. His gaze was firm, hoping and waiting for Zhan to apologize like he always does but this time around, it didn't happen.

Zhan's smile perished and walked closer to Yibo, dizzy, drained and tired from all the drivel.

"Did you ask me if you could invite him..?

Yibo froze. For the first time since being with Zhan, he was fearful.

"When will this stop, Yibo..? Hmm..? When..?"

The rock he had thrown to Zhan had been thrown back at him and worse. He choked up, his mind went dark and his throat dried out. Yibo never thought that Zhan could answer him back like that, he didn't see it coming, he didn't prepare himself for any of it simply because he thought that Zhan can never do it, but now, he was mistaken.