7th Chapter: CONVICTION

Enjoy reading loves!🥰

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I hope we can be friends in the future. I'm sure Yuta will be glad. Goodnight."

Yibo instantly hung up the phone, taking a profound and fulfilling breath. It was business after all. Xiao Zhan shouldn't think of it as anything else, he thought. The evening was chilly and his face began to feel frigid. The cold air started to clamber through his neck, and to his shoulders, down to his arms. He slightly leaned forward, rested his elbows on his lap, and opened a can of beer. Something that he would do when his mind is troubling him.

Little by little, people were beginning to abandon the park. Yibo sat on the bench gulping the only companion he has as he watches the people disappear before his eyes. The warmth traveling through his belly made him burp a bitter taste.

The stillness of the surroundings was relaxing for Yibo. After a day of work, he deserves time only to himself. He comes to the park after work before going home to unwind. His apartment was nearby so he doesn't mind having a drink or two. No one is waiting for him anyway.

The moon was bright and the stars surrounding it were lovely to look at. He finished his first can and opened another. He looked at his watch and sighed. It was already 10 pm but he was feeling inert. Coming home to nothing is not a nice feeling for him. He suddenly thought back to when Yuta was waiting for him to come home, running to him like a kid and giving him a tight hug. He would cook his favorite food because he didn't like takeaways. Even though he was not the best one, the effort was there which Yibo admired.

Yuta's wide smile when he would come back from work and the home which once a joyous place only exists now in Yibo's memory. Things he would remember from time to time, especially when he's alone.

Another thirty minutes went by of him still lost in the past. He snapped back from it when his phone suddenly rang. It was his brother, Haikuan. Yibo frowned, thinking why his brother would call this late at night. Usually, he would call in the morning or mid-afternoon.

"Hello.Kuan." He said in an unconcerned voice.

"Yibo, are you home? Did I wake you?"

"Hmm. No. Why did you call?" He deliberately lied.

"Just want to ask you. Why did you give my number to Cheng?"

"Oh. About that."

"Yes. He texted me earlier."

"He said he wanted to ask you something." 

"I see."

"Sorry. I should've asked you first."

"No, it's okay. Anyway, how was your day? Dinner? Did you go to work?"

"Hmm. Just the usual. I'm going to bed now. I'm really tired. I'll come and visit you and Uncle the day after tomorrow. Goodnight."

Haikuan heaved a slight sigh and didn't ask any more questions. Typical of his little brother who doesn't want to entertain phone calls even if it's him calling. It's kind of obvious. He just smiled and continued.

"Okay good. He was asking for you anyway. Well, goodnight Yibo."

'Hmm."

Yibo finished the call and stood up. He threw the beer cans and decided to leave. He grabbed his skateboard and gym bag and slowly made his way back home. The flickering glimmer coming from the lamppost was his only source of light and his shadow was the only thing accompanying him, but he didn't care.