33rd Chapter: HIS LOSS

20 minutes earlier..

Haikuan's face paled as soon as he saw Zhan standing by the gate, holding an umbrella and a pastry basket. The man whose face shows no sentiment at all took notice of the older's car and slowly turned his head to it, but, his exterior remained cold. Immediately, emotions crawled thru every niche of Haikuan's body, particularly shock, his blood turned to ice, and his chest felt like a brick is pressing against it. He stared for a while, contemplating whether what he is seeing is real or if it just a dream, because the same man they thought is dead, who his brother thought was dead, suddenly was alive. Instantly, Yibo's face came into Haikuan's mind, thinking if he had seen his ex-lover already, or if not, what will his reaction be if he sees him again, will he be happy? Angry? Surprised? Will he be alright after? The older was confused as many questions flooded his mind which disabled him to even move a hand to stop the car's engine, for it was fused on the wheel.

After a while, the man patiently waiting for him to come out offered a modest smile followed by a slight bow, which only then, made Haikuan regained his composure back. Those smile, which used to be radiant ones, had become so plain that Haikuan thought for a second if he was a real one. He took his eyes away for a second, moistened his dry lips, and gulped the saliva stuck on his mouth, then, finally stopping the engine. When the noise was gone, all he could hear was the sound of his heart beating like a drum. It was deafening, but, it was just to show, a proof, that none of what he was seeing is false.

His eyes never again left Zhan's, even after coming out of the vehicle. He stood still behind his car door for a moment, hand clutched on it tightly, struggling to think what words he would say to him. Sorry? How are you? How are you alive? Since when? Why are you here? This kind of questions, falling in line to be spoken first, but, worried about how he will spit out without sounding offensive.

He took a deep breath and slowly closes the door, then walked to where Zhan was standing. When he was finally close to him, Haikuan's tears started plunging and he couldn't help but open his arms for the man he once treated like his own brother and lovingly landed him with an embrace.

He was not expecting anything in return, not after what happened to them three years ago, thinking that Zhan is mad at him. Even though Yibo was the one who had wronged Zhan, he still felt guilty and ashamed for not reprimanding his brother's behaviour.

"Oh, Zhan. You're back. We missed you so much. I thought.."

Before he can continue, Zhan withdrew from the hug and put down the things he was holding. Then, to Haikuan's surprise, the man returned the hug.

"I'm dead..? Well, I'm here.."

"I'm glad, Zhan. I'm happy to see you again.."

"Me too. I missed you guys. How's uncle doing?"

Haikuan, this time let go of the embrace and let out a sad smile which made the other wonder. Zhan saw the reluctance on the older's face that led him to believe that something had happened to the old man.

"Is uncle okay..?"

"Zhan, he.."

Then Haikuan's phone rang. He grabbed the thing in his back pocket and gulped when he saw Yibo's name on the screen. He glanced at Zhan who was staring at his hand as if the man already knew who is calling.

"It's hmm.."

"Hmm. It's okay. I'll wait.."

Hesitant, he answered it. Immediately after hearing his brother's voice trembling, he knew right away.